Fl;y 1/32 Hurricane II

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

neat one steve, the fuselage to wing join doesn't look particularly easy, but you fixed it up pretty nicely

John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The fit is not too bad. I did a little work on the mating surfaces of the upper wing, and when attaching the wing undersides had to do a little work to make everything line up, but really not bad. The issues on the leading edge were almost negligible, so building as per instructions might work okay.

The one thing you have to look out for whatever method you use, but especially when joining the upper wings first, is the dihedral angle. On a Hurricane this is very easy, but on some other aircraft it can be a bit tricky.

Here's both wings, upper and lower, attached.

I'd forgotten how big the Hurricane's wing span is, several feet more than a Spitfire's!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been getting in an hour here and there and have now finished substantial construction. The result is something looking like a Hurricane, if a bit grey in its primer.

I've seen a couple of reviews and a video blog of this kit which tend to emphasise the negatives, which I have mentioned, but really they are nothing you should not expect from this sort of kit. Generally it goes together quite well and any competent builder, with a bit of aircraft experience, will have no problems with it. I wouldn't recommend it as a first aircraft kit, but otherwise it's fine.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking excellent steve, a great example of the way that lots of dry fitting and fettling plus a good dose of inventiveness can make a good fit from a poor one . Cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've sprayed the yellow leading edges and Sky fuselage band of the Day Fighter Scheme. I don't have a Hurricane in that scheme, hence the choice.

I will now mask these areas before applying the camouflage. The instructions were very specific. The Sky band was 18" wide, common to all fighters, but the yellow leading edges were type specific. I will be cutting masks, to scale, for these dimensions. I often see these stripes horribly over sized on models!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

excellent work mate, I like the historical accuracy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This does look like a good one and you are giving it your normal first class attention. (even if the directive says Duck egg blue and you have painted it Sky  :P  I'll get my coat. )

As a general question Steve. What other choices are there for a 1/32 Hurricane?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very, very nice Steve. Looks like quite a nice kit. looking forward to seeing the finished Hurry

Cheers

Paul

Ps. How do you think it compares to the PCM kit?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There is the Pacific Coast Models kit for a Mk I. I did a build on here a few years ago. It makes a good Hurricane but is a tricky build, not that you would have any trouble.

Otherwise there is the old Revell kit which is neither a Mk I nor Mk II but is best taken back to a Mk I. I did this here even longer ago!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Now sprayed in the Day Fighter Scheme  (pattern to Hawker drawing DRG.E.1165) c/w yellow leading edge IFF stripes and Sky fuselage band.

I'll be leaving this a while before continuing to the decals. I won't be spraying the markings on this one.

Cheers

Steve

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Great build so far and great work on the camo looks superb bud 

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

the camo truly does look nice, and will be looking forward to seeing the markings go on

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've finally given this aircraft an identity, decals on. The decals are very thin with minimal carrier film which whilst making them fragile and not the easiest to work, also makes them conform very well with just a couple of applications of Microsol.

There's a bit of weathering, this aircraft was late production, from the 10th Hawker production block, delivered to the RAF between September 1943 and May 1944. I'm portraying it as operated by No. 309 (Polish) Squadron who acquired these Hurricanes, much to their dismay, in April 1944.

I might even get this finished for the weekend :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Should have said that the decals remind me of those from Techmod. In the kit the sheet is just marked Fly Models so maybe they do them themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work Steve - up to your usual high standards.

Cheers

P

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

nice job steve, good to see the decals going on. However, how are the Fly decals' quality? I have their 1/32 Ar 234B-2 and I would like to know if they are good or dodgy.

Cheers, John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi John. The decals in this kit are very good. The carrier film is very thin (and minimal) which does make the larger decals in particular fragile and the smaller ones tend to want to roll up. I only lost one of the W/T markings, so with careful handling they are fine. They do go down and conform very nicely, I had no silvering at all.

I mentioned that they reminded me of the typical Techmod decals, which are also usually on a thin film and a bit on the fragile side.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've started another thread in the completed section for this one here

Cheers

Steve