Flag draped over a german vehicle ?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Ive been looking for ideas on my latest dio and ive seen many vehicles with the nazi flag draped over then would I be right in thinking this was a way to tell german aircraft that it was a friendly instead of a target

This is a pic of one View attachment 105347

image.jpg

First Name
Richard
Indeed it is Alan.

Quote from LINK

''These German Vehicle Recognition flag/drapes were supposedly placed on vehicles so that German planes could tell where the German front line was.

The Germans did, early in the war, use signal drapes to identify German armor for the Luftwaffe.

These drapes could be identified because they lacked loops for hoisting and had loops on all four corners making them suitable for fixing on tanks and even on the front deck of warships''.

Cheers Richi

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks Richard, I thought it was but you can't be too careful when attaching a swashtika to a model some people can take offence so I thought I'd check first

Thanks for the link :smiling3:

First Name
Richard
\ said:
but you can't be too careful when attaching a swastika to a model some people can take offence
That's absolutely right, here in Germany they go so far as cutting decals with the swastika and waffen XX signs of the decal sheets.

Cheers Richi

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I think over here in the uk there's a law that says you can't put a swashtikas on toys and models are toys so you don't get them on decal sheets but I do know that eduard put them on there decal sheets but cut them in half

First Name
Richard
Ok didn't know there was a law for that in the UK, thought is was only in Germany.

Stupid while allot of people only think of WWII wen they see the hooked cross

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I think it's a lack of education on it really , that symbol has been around for thousands of years and means hope and piece and things of that nature but a brief 12 year period in history means it's seen as evil.

I think if you educate people in what these things really mean it takes it out of the hands of the bigots because it weakens the prejudice some may use it for

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
think its the same over hear as well, if you do get the decal,of the xx its 2 bits and on 1.72 so hard

to put 2 gather,or the black part is missing so you just get the red background with the white,

so i make all my owe one,s and its part of what was and what will always be,,

I think that the hoked cross is from some type of Celtic/Germanic,or roman,Hindi symbol and was just alted

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=germanic+symbols&biw=1906&bih=945&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=g9ceVajeHoLKmwW-84DwAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQsAQ

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I realise some people might not like the idea of a swastika on a model, and I can understand that ....... But is not having them on there something akin to re-writing history ????

First Name
Aaron
No problem in New Zealand Swazis anywhere you want. Our biggest gang has adopted the swastika and a british bulldog in a stahlhelm.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Robert
History was and will remain history ( the conversation on what was and what is etc will always rage on but modellers want to depict and create a scene, and what he/she can do, a diorama which is 100% fictitious as in ( it's a model ) but in the same tone its depicting history and the truth should never be hidden.

N

noble

Alan you are correct in what you say about the swastika being around for thousands of years, but Hitler just loved the occult he tended to subvert these innocent forms for his own use as he did with many things. But here it is in a nutshell boys and girls whether we like it or not the swastika is part of our history now, all be it a very bad part but a part none the less a part, and I can understand why the laws in Germany are so strict on this on this but again this is history you can't just overlook it with the kind of thought that if we don't put swastikas on model kits people may just forget about it. A flag is just a rag on a pole and means nothing it is the attitude of the people or peoples in that country that give importance to these things. sorry to hijack the thread and yes they were meant as vehicle I. D markers.

scott

First Name
Richard
\ said:
I can understand why the laws in Germany are so strict on this
I often don't, I am Dutch just living in Germany. My daughter Svenja is 14 years old goes to a german school had made a superb drawing last year in school and signed it with here initials, (first and sure name S.S.) The next day she came home and said, that she could't sign wit here initials because its not appropriate, no explanation at all from the teacher. Later that day I received a call from the same teacher that I should explain why she doesn't get to use here initials on drawings (WWII, Nazi and so on).

So much to German laws.

Cheers Richi

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Alan you are correct in what you say about the swastika being around for thousands of years, but Hitler just loved the occult he tended to subvert these innocent forms for his own use as he did with many things. But here it is in a nutshell boys and girls whether we like it or not the swastika is part of our history now, all be it a very bad part but a part none the less a part, and I can understand why the laws in Germany are so strict on this on this but again this is history you can't just overlook it with the kind of thought that if we don't put swastikas on model kits people may just forget about it. A flag is just a rag on a pole and means nothing it is the attitude of the people or peoples in that country that give importance to these things. sorry to hijack the thread and yes they were meant as vehicle I. D markers.
scott
I'm not asking for this part of history to be overlooked scott , I believe that education is a powerful thing maybe the most important thing in our lives and if we ban things they it actually has the opposite effect people become more interested in something that is banned ,

Could you imagine the effect the swastika would have if it was told that it's a symbol of good , it takes it away from less disirable in society in effect it makes them powerless

No one is saying erase it from history but let's start telling it's true meaning , education sets you free :smiling3:

Anyway I think we've covered this enough now I found out the meaning of this on models and that it doesn't have any sinister reason for putting it on a model and it's a simple I D marker :smiling3:

Thanks to everyone for your help and comments :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I often don't, I am Dutch just living in Germany. My daughter Svenja is 14 years old goes to a german school had made a superb drawing last year in school and signed it with here initials, (first and sure name S.S.) The next day she came home and said, that she could't sign wit here initials because its not appropriate, no explanation at all from the teacher. Later that day I received a call from the same teacher that I should explain why she doesn't get to use here initials on drawings (WWII, Nazi and so on).
So much to German laws.

Cheers Richi
It's all down to the Germans feeling guilty about what happened and they feel they are doing the right thing by banning this sort of thing which has had an opposite effect as there is still a growing far right movement it Germany and I think it's got more to do with people being told that should feel guilty about it , that sort of thing tends to alienate people

First Name
Richard
\ said:
Anyway I think we've covered this enough now I found out the meaning of this on models and that it doesn't have any sinister reason for putting it on a model and it's a simple I D marker :smiling3:
Me Think so to

Please don't post after this anymore

Cheers Richi

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
In Britain, including Devon, you have the freedom to decide for yourself whether or not to put a swastika on YOUR model. You might risk offending a small minority, actually I doubt it, but anyway you also have the right to offend them (as they do to be offended!).

That freedom is what our forbears were fighting for during the period in question.

Cheers

Steve