Flak 36 North Afrika - Tamiya

First Name
colin
Thanks. Not tried pastels thus far, but have a drawer full of pigments!

All I did John was to mist the figure with matt coat leave until almost dry and lightly brushed similar colour pastels on to clothing and flesh onto skin then sealed them with a light dusting of matt
HTH

0ne48thtel

That is a great first Dio John a word of warning though once the bug bites for doing this sort of thing it's hard to stop.

J

John Rixon

That is a great first Dio John a word of warning though once the bug bites for doing this sort of thing it's hard to stop.
I'm getting this impression! Already squirrelling away stuff I'd have thrown away last year

J

John Rixon

All I did John was to mist the figure with matt coat leave until almost dry and lightly brushed similar colour pastels on to clothing and flesh onto skin then sealed them with a light dusting of matt
HTH
What do you use to grind them? I'm very familiar with them from my art school days, and can see that they'd be useful. I bought pigments before the idea had been suggested, and my one issue with them is that they are often poor colours, ending up with me mixing them - this works, but is messy and time consuming!

First Name
colin
What do you use to grind them? I'm very familiar with them from my art school days, and can see that they'd be useful. I bought pigments before the idea had been suggested, and my one issue with them is that they are often poor colours, ending up with me mixing them - this works, but is messy and time consuming!

I just scrape them with a Stanley knife blade if I want a small amount if I need a lot I use a mortar and pezel .

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very nice indeed for your first attempt John, I won't do a crit, you know what you want to achieve you just have to get your mind and hands to do it.
Practice..practice..practice;).........Jim:smiling3:

J

John Rixon

Update - well it looks matt as a matt thing, but am struggling to shoot it right. I'm using a very nice Lumix LX3, on a tripod with natural lihjt (plent of it) and they've had some PS treatment, but I'm well disappointed in them tbh. Gonna have to get the big guns out, methinks!
FlkFin1.jpg FlkFin2.jpg FlkFin3.jpg

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've never done a dio but if I did and it turned out like yours I would be well chuffed!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If this is your first attempt at a diorama, I am really looking forward to the second. It is really very good.

J

John Rixon

Very nice indeed for your first attempt John, I won't do a crit, you know what you want to achieve you just have to get your mind and hands to do it.
Practice..practice..practice;).........Jim:smiling3:
Thanks Jim, any praise for a diorama from you, I'll take! I have the bug, am spending far too long looking at old black & white photos from Libya in ww2!

First Name
Alex
I think its very good. At least you did the sandbags properly, On my first dio I had huge gaps in between the bags as i used Tamiya plastic ones. The trick is to use clay apparently

J

John Rixon

I think its very good. At least you did the sandbags properly, On my first dio I had huge gaps in between the bags as i used Tamiya plastic ones. The trick is to use clay apparently
Too true, I was a bit disappointed in them (these are tamiya too), very difficult to arrange them in a curve, which I wanted to do originally. I'll be making the next ones out of days or green stuff!