Fleet Air Arm Corsair II - Tamiya 1/32

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Colin - Just notice I said Prismatic - It should have read Prismacolour.... autocorrect, no doubt!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I worked on the interior with the silver pencil to make the detail pop a little more and add some additional scratched and chips.
here is what a couple of pieces looked like after - not sure how well it will show in the photos..
IMG_2554.JPG
IMG_2556.JPG

I then brought the various sub-assemblies together.

IMG_2558.JPG
IMG_2557.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

I tacked the fuselage halves together with tape and drops of Mr S Cement, keeping it well away from the tape.

IMG_2573.JPG

After 15 minutes I removed the tape and ran the Mr S Cement along the seam.

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

Tonight I will treat the seams.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Last night I ran a bead of Mr Dissolved Putty along the seams, after half hour and it had shrunk back a bit, I did it again. Tonight I will sand it down and rescribe once I am happy with the join. Sometimes it needs two treatments in places. I love the Mr Dissolved Putty, it is very thin and very self-levelling and gets right into small cracks and joins. It is great for helping 'level' a rough surface, if you get glue finger marks for instance, a spot of this and a light sanding once cured is the best and easiest correction to make.
IMG_2576.JPG
After that I spent what time I had left preparing some pieces and starting the engine build.
IMG_2578.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking great Barry. that pencil looks a very useful addition, nice effect on the 'pit.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I treated the seams, attached some panels and the engine firewall.
I did have a small problem with the sanding stick slipping and grazing the front of the pit just behind where the windscreen will be. Easily rectified, I sanded it down and painted it black. You can see the dead flat black in the pic just after I painted it, handbrushed with Vallejo black. Tonight I will spray some semi-gloss varnish then dry brush. Pulled together a few more engine parts as well. The engine panels will be fixed in place so I will be painting that area with what will be seen in mind.
IMG_2579.JPG

A

Awins

Last night I ran a bead of Mr Dissolved Putty along the seams, after half hour and it had shrunk back a bit, I did it again. Tonight I will sand it down and rescribe once I am happy with the join. Sometimes it needs two treatments in places. I love the Mr Dissolved Putty, it is very thin and very self-levelling and gets right into small cracks and joins. It is great for helping 'level' a rough surface, if you get glue finger marks for instance, a spot of this and a light sanding once cured is the best and easiest correction to make.
View attachment 287440
After that I spent what time I had left preparing some pieces and starting the engine build.
View attachment 287441
Barry, what is your preferred method of applying Mr Dissolved Putty ?
Watching this build with interest.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A quick update. I am working through some Sub assemblies before starting on the wings.

The tail wheel assembly
IMG_2581.JPG

The stabs

IMG_2582.JPG

Parts ready for painting. I used Montez masks for the canopy rather than the supplied masks.
IMG_2583.JPG

I am going to get a few more of these done before working on the wings.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am working on the wing centre section which alone has more parts than many models. Engineering and fit is outstanding.
Progress so far
IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG
There is still a fair bit to do on these before working on the outer wings.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The main undercarraige build under way. It is a model in itself and with the various interconnecting elements it can be an engineering challenge for lesser model companies, Tamiya pull it off in style, perfect fit and sublime engineering. It is a pleasure to work on. The picture below was after an hour of work. It is ready to add to the ready to paint collection of assemblies.
IMG_2588.JPG
The other to do tonight. Soon I will be moving on to clipping the wings to depict a FAA bird.

A

Awins

The main undercarraige build under way. It is a model in itself and with the various interconnecting elements it can be an engineering challenge for lesser model companies, Tamiya pull it off in style, perfect fit and sublime engineering. It is a pleasure to work on. The picture below was after an hour of work. It is ready to add to the ready to paint collection of assemblies.
View attachment 288151
The other to do tonight. Soon I will be moving on to clipping the wings to depict a FAA bird.
Enjoying watching your build Barry

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A question

Looking at pictures of FAA Corsairs there seems to be an air scoop on the fuselage below the cockpit. Indeed there is a mark on the fuse where this air scoop appears.

This is what I mean
IMG_2597.JPG

Looking at the sprues I found these among the parts not needed for this build.
IMG_2596.JPG
They look the right size and shape, indeed they position perfectly over the fuselage mark.
IMG_2600.JPG
So does anyone know if I would be right to glue these into place?

Pity no clipped wing tips are included in the kit though! That is my next task......

J

John Rixon

Odd that there's no reference to them in the instructions though!