Fleet Air Arm Corsair II - Tamiya 1/32

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi John.

Many thanks for that, very interesting. My own research suggests a field modification on many Mk IIs. Hence them not having a uniform appearance, so the squarer shape is not a worry.

Tamiya do often include different parts that are not needed for the versions in the box. I found parts for my Passion Wagon Mustang that were not needed for any of the versions offered in both boxings.

I have decided to include them. They just fit so perfectly in place square to the marks on the fuselage it cannot just be coincidence. I did see pics with these scoops on aircraft based on HMS Victorious though the exact shape was not clear.

I found some time today to clip the wings.
IMG_2590.JPG
I firmly cemented the tip into place first and the went looking for a plug for where the lights go. Ideally I wanted a clear piece of sprue but could not find any big enough. I therefore had to use a solid piece of plastic and will end up painting the lights. Not so good that but it is the only way I could do it.
IMG_2591.JPG

I cut out the small protrusions that represent bulbs.
IMG_2592.JPG
I used some black tape to mark the cuts.
IMG_2602.JPG

Cut done.
IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_2604.JPG
You can see the plugs in place. Just got the edges to sand to shape and blend in.
IMG_2606.JPG
Nearly there. A touch of Mr Surfacer is applied in a couple of places. I will finish off tomorrow or Monday. I am pleased with how that tricky operation went in spite of having to use solid plugs.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Here is the whole model all laid out in sub assemblies ready to work through bit by bit building as I paint.
Just to finish off the wing tips first.

IMG_2608.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's going to be some spraying session. More than a few colour changes I suspect.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Colin. I will be working through in batches, pulling the subs together as I go rather than one long session. MRP paints dry so quickly I will be able to weather as well in the same session in which I apply paint. I think overall working this way will speed up the process. It is a bit of an experiment.

J

John Rixon

Quick question Barry, do you use the 0.2 or 0.4 nozzle on your H&S Infinity for these 1/32 models. I'm sure it's logged here somewhere, but quicker to ask!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Quick question Barry, do you use the 0.2 or 0.4 nozzle on your H&S Infinity for these 1/32 models. I'm sure it's logged here somewhere, but quicker to ask!
The 0.4 as standard but I do use the 0.2 for detail such as mottle.

J

John Rixon

Ah, ok. anything that niggles you in any way? Just asking, as am in the middle of an aircraft build, and realise that I'd like to have a go at spraying again. My single action I got from John is brilliant, but I want to freehand the wavy line on my P47, where OD meets Grey!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
John, the H&S Infinity is a supeb piece of kit, no niggles at all. One of its strengths is that its particularly easy to break down to clean.

I have not used Tamiya paints myself, though I have heard good things about their spraying qualities properly thinned. I really would recommend the MRP paints though. You dont have to worrry about thinning ratios, spray perfectly at low pressures and ideal for what you are looking to do.

J

John Rixon

Good news on the Infinity, but I feel I've used up my 'lung abuse allowance' ages ago (retired smoker, and extensive use of spray mount for years) to consider cellulose based stuff now, so I'm going to stick with the Tamiya paints, as they do spray beautifully - I think a decent enough compromise between Vallejo and the MRP lacquers. I will, however, get a bottle of Olive drab and try it, as I do appreciate that a thin consistency is a hell of a good start towards a great finish. Might be the very stuff for base coats, methinks!

B

Builder

Great work as always Barry. I have heard many good things about MRP as well, might give them a try in future.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
No progress to post so just a quick word...

I have not had much time at the bench this week, a dinner in Lords Pavilion that led to us being stranded in London overnight, dressed in penguin suits wandering the streets did not help, but that is another story... and, tomorrow, Saturday I am off to Bath for four nights with the missus.

I do have a couple of days at the end of the week when hopefully I will get a bit extra time at the bench so my next update is about a week away....

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Back to the bench.
Wing tips clipped, wings fitted...
AE0EDC75-4D98-4438-91DB-729BDAF4F462.jpeg
120A47BB-E8FC-4ABE-AA40-9A0DA213E964.jpeg
The overview below shows the three modifications done for the FAA bird, clipped wings, British seatbelts, side vents.
EEF9DD3F-AE39-4A66-8B1E-3E6806FD7D7B.jpeg
Bomb painted and weathered.
4D63CA6E-CCB5-479B-849A-17B2603182AE.jpeg
As are the wheel hubs.
CEBCBE0B-557C-4844-9255-21D62CFD9EFF.jpeg
I used the prop as a test for the chipping.
2D7F1FB2-842E-4619-BF7B-65C6A628003F.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good barry , cheers tony

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
She is ready for the painting process. All sub-assemblies ready, alcohol washed and masked.

The undercarriage and bomb assemblies ready and weathered
3AE3DC5E-C44E-4B7C-BCD3-89C9B08F28A0.jpeg

The main airframe ready for primer.
A3D317A2-2D57-4B9A-8ABB-E73C3CEEDB1F.jpeg
AEE7CEA9-68A9-4A56-84D6-F4B1A38B6111.jpeg

T

Trekkie_John

Iwas going to like all the posts Barry but, i'll be here all day ;). Looking mighty fine budy.

Have fun, John

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking great Barry, as always.
I'm thinking of giving the MrP range a go. Where's the best place to find the range
I'm just about to check the shop just in case John has stocked them...
Thanks
P