Fokker D VII 1/6 RC

T

T. van Vuuren

I had a Flair Fokker d7 rc model many years back powered by an OS .70 FS.

It was one of the nicest flying scale planes I had so since I had the plans and former/rib blanks from the original kit I will be building another one.

I cut out all the fuselage formerg from ply I had lying in the shop and the balsa for the ribs was also extra I had from other builds.

The spars I had to join to get the 1/4m for the one piece top wing.

I think I might go for Ernst Udet's "LO" red and wight ride.

Covering wil be light weight poliester and dope.

Theuns

DSC00033 (3).JPG

DSC00551.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I like the sound of this. A proper flying machine.

T

T. van Vuuren

I wans't sure if this is the right forum for it , I have seen some RC builds before but could not find those threads.

The top wing has been started, I will have to think about the mounding system that the kit used for the cacane and interplane struts. They were piano wire with soldered on lugs for the fastners.

I didnt like this much. I might go for thin metal tube that is flatened and bolted together, it might look closer to the rear thing.

It will be a stand off scale , I am not going mad with the scale detail, the real DVII had an interesting wing that became thinner from root to tip, the kit has a constant thickness.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

The top wing basic structure is taking shape, it has been framed up and the LE sheeting glued to the leading edge. When this is dry I form it around the nose ribs. It forms  D-box structure that is very resistant ot tortional loads.

I will also add shearwebs between the top and  bottom spar caps, it forms a C-beam that is way stronger than just the caps on their own.

Theuns

DSC00552.JPG

T

T. van Vuuren

Work got in the way of play time so progress was a little slow.

I have basically completed the top wing and ailerons, I just need to put on the wingtips and strut mounds.

The stab is on the board now.

I have used a different method on the controll surfaces than the kit. I laminate thin strips of balsa, its way stronger and lighter.

Theuns

DSC00563.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I love seeing these wooden structures go together. I'm looking forward to the next instalments Theuns.

T

T. van Vuuren

Fuselage side frames done, all tail pieces done and topwing plus ailerons done.
I just need to build in the mondpoints and build the bottom wing before I can start rigging it.

Theuns