Fw 190A-8 with B&V 246 Hagelkorrn

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
This is "something a bit different" I've recently done. The kit was a Revell Fw 10A-8 but it had a B&V 246 "Hagelkorn" (Hailstone) gliding bomb with it, so I did it.

I'd never seen this bomb system before and liked the look of it.

View attachment 76678

View attachment 76679

View attachment 76680

View attachment 76681

View attachment 76682

View attachment 76683

View attachment 76684

It was a nice kit to build, and although getting the bomb wings level with respect to the plane was a bit of a tricky job, don't think I got it perfect, I'm still quite pleased with the result. I've done it as a museum piece, clean and shiny.

Thanks for looking and any comments are welcome.

Tony.

Fw 190 with Hagelkorn001.JPG

Fw 190 with Hagelkorn002.JPG

Fw 190 with Hagelkorn003.JPG

Fw 190 with Hagelkorn004.JPG

Fw 190 with Hagelkorn005.JPG

Fw 190 with Hagelkorn008.JPG

Fw 190 with Hagelkorn007.JPG

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Top notch tony , I've never seen this ordnance before I wouldn't have thought it would be very accurate , it's always difficult to get these things spot on but I like this :smiling3:

Just read this again and it would sound like I'm knocking it but what I mentioned by accurate I ment being a glide bomb and not adjusting it on the build

Just thought I'd clear that up :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You know me Tony. I'm a sucker for a Fw190. Love it. Very nice build indeed

First Name
Mike
That's really cool. Presumably they retracted the undercarriage before launching...

P

Polux

Love it, Tony.

Seems a very clean and tidy build. The camouflage painting is genial.

Great build!

Polux

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great build Tony, very crisp. Interesting topic too, whilst I have seen it before I have never seen a kit of it built before.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant job Tony, ive got one of these in the stash and its a great kit isnt it? The paint job is excellent , 1/72 scale mottles are very tricky but youve cracked it. The Hagelkorn is an interesting weapon , a glide bomb with wings made of reinforced concrete , sounds mental . Apparently it was set for production but was cancelled when the V1 came on the scene. I think the wings were meant to be slightly bent downwards, i believe they were tensioned against the wing so that on release it sprung the bomb away from the aircraft giving it a bit more momentum .Great build , cheers tony

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks for all the really good comments guys.

@ Mike (The Migrant) The bomb wings were aft of the wheel wells so after take off the wheels retracted as normal, though looking at it again, it must have been a tight squeeze.

@ Tony(Yakface) Thanks for the encouragement about the mottle, I free handed it with an air brush,and although there were a few "spiders" to clean up,it's not bad, I think, and yes the bomb wings are supposed to bend down but the wing struts were a little short and I figured, in this scale, who'd notice, D'oh, o_O:D

Thanks again.

Tony.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks Ian

Tony

Ps I just noticed that the "Hagelkorn" in the title has two r's :oops: typing was never my strong suit LOL

D

Doug Hughes

Well done, Tony. It's a really interesting subject and you've done a great job with the mottle.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Tony. Good job on the camo.

Ian M

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
superb mottling and great little build

B

BigZimmo

Hi Tony!!!

Well done, mate!! I also built this model. Did you use another Canopy? In my kit it was not a "Bubble Top".

Developed by Blohm & Voss Bv 246 glide bomb remote- " hailstone " was intended for the destruction of point targets such as bridges, ships, etc. .As support for this weapons system bomber had intended to use He- 111 and Ju -88 to carry more so than a glide bomb per use can in the first place.However, it has also experimented with the Fw 190, which of course could only accommodate a Bv 246. Dropped from a height of 7000m , the glide bomb had a range of 210 kilometers .However, issues prevented the series production , especially the accuracy left something to be desired, so that the RLM 1943-1944 repeatedly stopped development of this weapon system until the final end of production on 13 May came in 1944. Only a small series of 550 copies was built for use as a target for AA-Gunners .Only towards the end of the war the Bv 246 was a point target destroyer interesting again , because now stood with the special seeker " radish " the necessary funds available to increase the accuracy . This seeker allowed the bomb , automatically destroying radar and guide arrangements of the opponent.To my knowledge, there were probably 10 "sharp" tests with Bv 246 , which were equipped with a " radish " seeker .I think you can definitely see this weapon system as the ancestor of today's " smart" bombs.

Cheers

Stefan:smiling3: