GAZ-66 AAA Ukraine, Eastern Express, 1/35

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
was looking thro pics today, following the rabbit hole that is google, and ended up looking at vehicles currently being used by the Ukrainians

came across a few of GAZ-66 trucks with ZU-23 AAA guns in the back

this was a standard fit that the Russians made and supplied all over the place since the 70s....cheap mobile AAA

i remembered that i have an Eastern Express offering of it that i acquired a very long time ago (i also got a standard truck at the same time and proved to be a pain in the nether regions to build.....which is why this one has remained unbuilt lol ) so thought id give it a go

also found out an interesting fact which i plan on doing....you know how the Russians have been painting a white Z on vehicles to use as an ID mark...........well, the Ukraines have been using either a single/double white stripe, or a white cross which makes sense if you think about it as its an opposite of a 'Z', also the ukraine is predominantly christian and have a white cross on their army flag

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks like you’ll be in for a bit of work just making parts fit, but it should make an interesting and topical model.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Eastern Express do some interesting stuff but their kits generally require a lot of work. It will be an interesting build to follow.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
state of play

cab has been a bugger....so many bits to try and line up (they dont), bits moulded incorrectly requiring some reshaping, i masked inside and out, sprayed insides green......i plan on filling with sponge to block any gaps, temp fit the roof in order to spray the exterior cos its will be 3 colours

inside of the bed is green......exterior will be tri coloured too

chassis is almost done..........always seem to be black for some reason

gun is assembled but needs some touching up ready for a wash

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
sitrep time

cab, spare wheel carrier and truck bed attached to chassis

all masking removed which was a relief as i was expecting lots of paint bleed but very very little

the wheels have had a muddy sludge wash to get mud in the tread

the end is in sight

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
sitrep time

cab, spare wheel carrier and truck bed attached to chassis

all masking removed which was a relief as i was expecting lots of paint bleed but very very little

the wheels have had a muddy sludge wash to get mud in the tread

the end is in sight

Good stuff Paul :smiling3:
I do like the wash/weathering you've got on there.... Looking forward to seeing the wheels on ;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
ive decided to try something on impulse

when ive been researching pics on Ukrainian trucks theres a lot showing that they improvise a shelter on the back.......some have the regular truck cover pushed back........some are totally bodged on with tarpaulins ........so using some evergreen strip ive made a little frame which will be easy to remove again if it dosnt work in the end.........and ive made a green tarp using a spectacle wipe dipped in green poster paint....got to wait for it to dry before i can try scabbing it on

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I think it looks great Paul!!! I wouldn't change a thing.......

Prost
Allen