Generic polystyrene vs. Evergreen?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
After my recent treatment by the postman, the new Swedish post office (now owned by the Danish PostNord) screwed me on no less than t
Other way around Jens, the Swedish post nord bought post Danmark and since that day have lost so many customers they risk collapse.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Nail varnish remover does consist mainly of acetone but it also contains some water and oil so that it is not as aggressive when used for its intended purpose; it is less likely to remove fat from nails & skin, and thus reduce cracking or other damage

As it is a less powerful solvent and would leave a smear of oil I wouldn't use it on a model, but I do use it for cleaning my hands if I've been using epoxy glue

Carbon tetrachloride is no longer used in fire extinguishers as it is carcinogenic. It has been replaced by BCF - bromo, chloro, difluoro, methane

If you want some plastic card then there always seems to be loads of CD cases lying around

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Nail varnish remover can be pure acetone, or acetone-free, or anything in between. It should state on the label. Zulu, I wouldn't use any of them to clean your hands, you could end up with dermatitis. Use a proper hand cleanser.

Pete

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I'm not talking about swilling around in a whole bucketful, just wiping off the epoxy with a moderately soaked cloth, then washing my hands in soap & water

one of my other hobbies is knife making, for which I use epoxy glue, but it's only a minor hobby; I probably only make one knife every 2 or 3 months, so the same goes for epoxy & acetone
But I think I'll get some disposeable gloves anyway

First Name
Noel
There is a company in the UK named Slaters who supply plastic card, plastic extrusions ( rounds, squares etc), and various embossed plastic sheet. They have been around for decades mainly aiming at the model railway fraternity. I re spoked a set of the big Airfix Bentley with their plastic rodding way back in the 1970's. Have used their excellent products many times since. Like most products aimed at the hobbyist, small quantities may seem a bit expensive. There is another company named EMA in London who import and distribute the Plastruct range of sheet and extrusions in Polystyrene and ABS plastics. As an alternative, it may be worth looking at local commercial plastics plastics suppliers instead of model shops that may be more cost effective. The downside is, forget A4 size sheets as these guys probably only sell in much larger sized sheets mainly to industry. If a group of modellers got together and buy some sheets to cut it may be feasable.

B

baz

Hello Jens,
I have only just seen your thread on sheet plastic, I am an avid scratch builder and get all my supplies from my local hobby shop,
TRANSPORT MODELS OF PRESTON LANCASHIRE ENGLAND, they have a web site and internet service, a sheet of 30 thou plasticard is approx 24 inches by 17 inches is 6 pounds and you can make a lot of bits with a big sheet like this, they also have smaller sheets clear and all other designs with rivet and panel ect. Check out the site they are very helpful I have been using the shop for years. As for evergreen products they have shot in price and I only buy tubes and box sections when I really need them, there are other things out there you just have to keep looking. You will see from some of my post I use a LOT of plasticard and the shop gives excellent value for money.

regards Barrie ( the old guy ) my models are in the sci fi forum have a peek.