German panzer Field Grey - what brand and paint code?

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I'm trying to think of any reason why this wouldn't be the standard German dunkel grau RAL 7021. I think this particular schlepper was for the Karl- Gerät.
Jon.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I'm with Jon - normal dark grey seems most likely

Feld grau was for uniforms and helmets or pre war staff cars and motorcycles

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just checked Vallejo's online conversion chart. According to that, their conversion from 71.056, RAL 7021, is XF 69 - Nato Black!

Our checking so far then, has returned Feld Grau as either medium green or black according to manufacturer's references.

Maybe I was right in my earlier post - pick a medium/dark grey you're happy with and go with it!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Have a look at VMA 71.049. They call it Medium Sea Grey but it could be just what you're looking for.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well fancy that! You found a shade of grey that really IS grey! I use XF 22 as RLM 02 for cockpits and I'm quite happy with that.

The two pieces at the back of the picture look slightly too dark (I guess that's due to the fact they're further away from the light) but the main body looks just about right to me.

Question is though, are YOU happy with it?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
I'm afraid you have been barking up the wrong tree, due to the Trumpeter instructions being incorrect!. They do call for 'Field Grey', when they should be calling out 'Panzer Grey' - the std. base colour for all German tanks until the introduction of 'dark yellow'.
Field grey was the term applied to the uniforms worn by the Wehrmacht. Panzer Grey is a very common colour offered by all the paint makers. - I use Vallejo 71.056 Panzer Dark Grey, which is a good base for modulation!
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Poor Rick.
Dave Ward is stop on.....Panzer Grey not Field Grey.

Anyway, whats the breeze re- getting the right shade? Even the paint would be slightly different shades in the tin, depending on the manufacturer.

Add such things as the weather, sun bleaching, mud splashes, dust, wear and tear, touching up the old paintwork, how many coats has been applied and how thick etc, etc.,it doesn't matter, as long as the shade is something like. The vehicle itself will have different shades depending on the surfaces exposure to the elements and abrasive reaction - and big boots!

I could go on but I think you get the picture......

Just get it something like. There again I'm just a near enough merchant!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm confused, ....….........….and can see why I like Russian armour 4B0
John.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Dave,
I'm afraid you have been barking up the wrong tree, due to the Trumpeter instructions being incorrect!. They do call for 'Field Grey', when they should be calling out 'Panzer Grey' - the std. base colour for all German tanks until the introduction of 'dark yellow'.
Field grey was the term applied to the uniforms worn by the Wehrmacht. Panzer Grey is a very common colour offered by all the paint makers. - I use Vallejo 71.056 Panzer Dark Grey, which is a good base for modulation!
Dave

Oh poop! Or should it be 'Woof woof!' That's what I said in my first post! It's Rick's build not mine, but thanks for the heads up.

Never mind. It's been instructive to find the huge variations in colour that are supposed to be 'equivalent' between Tamiya and VMA. Even their printed colour charts are different to their online ones in places, so at least I know now to compare the actual paints rather than rely on the charts.

Judging from the picture of the colour variation between uniforms, I guess I'm safe in saying that just about any of the colours we've been looking at would be OK?