Gern's 1/24 P47

T

treyzx10r

Dave looking forward to seeing this Monster build out! Hope these help with the plug wires

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cockpit looks good Dave , I always remember reading somewhere a quote from an american pilot about the best evasive action you could take if attacked while flying the p47. He said it was easiest to undo the seat belts and run around the cockpit!! When the RAF got them , the pilots were astounded at the room they had in there , after coming out of spits and hurricanes . I imagine that in 1/24 its a big space, largest p47 I ever built was 1/48 and that seemed like a big cockpit! cheers tony

Z

Ziper_it

Very good start on the cockpit.

Regarding the warped fuselage it should be fixable, but as others said it shouldn't happen on such expensive kit.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Dave looking forward to seeing this Monster build out! Hope these help with the plug wires
Trey, I was sure I'd written to thank you for these pics. Maybe I forgot to hit the Post Reply button or put it on the wrong post? Anyway, these will be of great help with the wiring, but they do show the rest of the engine parts in the kit are lacking a lot of detail. I doubt I have the skills to scratchbuild what's missing but I'll have a think once I've had more chance to study these pics.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Got the cockpit parts done ready for assembly. I'm waiting for the Klear to dry in the IP gauges and if it dries shiny as it should I'll be well pleased with the outcome. Purists may spot that the dials don't exactly match the instruments that should be there. I used a generic set of decals and my only concerns choosing where they should go were (i) is it the right size for the hole in the IP? and (ii) can I cut it from the decal sheet easily?

View attachment 96187

View attachment 96188

View attachment 96189

Back to the engine .....

Cockpit2.JPG

Cockpit3.JPG

Cockpit4.JPG

T

treyzx10r

Office looks great as does the IP Dave! Glad the pics helped, I'm sure that you noticed the turbos on that are'nt correct for a Jug. Keep up the great work ,looking forward to the next update.

First Name
Richard
Me too looking and waiting for the next update.

Nice job so far Dave.

Cheers Richi

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice office. Or is it ball room! lol

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I had spotted that the turbos weren't included in the kit Trey although I hadn't got round to comparing your pics with any others yet. Still, if they ain't supposed to be there, I ain't gotta worry about adding them!

Meanwhile, back in the cockpit ......

I've fitted the tub and discovered I may have to raise it a little. This isn't a difficult fit apparently, but I do need some help. Look at the gap between the IP and the top of the fuselage where it meets the canopy:

View attachment 96299

Is this gap supposed to be there or was there some sort of cover fitted? I know I've still to fit the gunsight but that only occupies the recess at the top of the IP. I could add some cables coming from the back of the instruments so there's at least some detail there, but if there was some sort of cover, that might be easier to do.

Cockpit gap.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You had me interested Dave so I looked online and found there is indeed an open gap ahead of the instrument panel. I guess this made it easy to access the various instruments for servicing and aid cooling of the electrics. Of course the various instruments would actually poke out the back, if you have seen particularly older ones they are very large and heavy items. There would also be wiring back there as you suggest.

Check this series of photos:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for those pics Joe. Looks like I gotta drill out the instrument backs and add some wiring! I'll have to see if I can't scratch up some supports on the sides too.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. I drilled out the instruments and added some bits of wire that I got from some multi-core cable. You can't see much of them, but you can see them so I'm glad I made the effort.

View attachment 96673

View attachment 96674

I finished gluing down the fuselage tops - which straightened out quite nicely - behind the cockpit and filled along the bottom edges. I'll fill the ends when I put the fuselage halves together as that will save some sanding work. The fuselage halves are not fixed yet but with care it looks like I won't need to do any filling.

View attachment 96676

View attachment 96675

I'm still undecided on what to add to this. Did the RAF ever use the 'slipper' tank which goes under the fuselage? I'm also stuck deciding whether to add bombs or fuel tanks under the wings. There is a problem with how they've drilled the holes for attaching the bombs though ....

View attachment 96671

View attachment 96672

Not a difficult fix, but a bit of poor design which this kit shouldn't have.

Bomb1.JPG

Bomb2.JPG

Cockpit5.JPG

Cockpit6.JPG

Fuselage top 4.JPG

Fuselage top3.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not a P-47 expert, but as far as I know the flattened underbelly tanks were not used by the RAF. I read somewhere that they definitely weren't used in SEAC, not so sure about elsewhere.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the info Steve, but I was kinda hoping nobody would confirm that! I've seen loads of pics of P47S, mostly American of course but a lot of British too, and not one of them shows those tanks on a British 'plane.

That means there's two b****y great slots on the bottom of the fuse that I've gotta fill .....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I sold on all of my old Airfix 1/24 aircraft because of the issues involved dealing with old moulds - flash, warping etc. I'm beginning to wish I'd sold this thing on too!

There are no positive location points on the airframe for either the inlet or exhaust pipes that come from the cylinders - only a small pin and locating hole at the cylinder end so assembly of the engine is going to be fiddly to say the least. While I was pondering how to sort this out, I thought I'd have a look at the undercarriage.

There are no location points for the doors on the tailwheel assembly other than the link arms that pull them shut when the gear retracts - only some tabs on the doors themselves which locate inside the fuselage. But you need to attach them to the tailwheel mounting before adding the assembly to the airframe because there are no location points on the fuselage for the tailwheel assembly itself!

That's after you've fixed the ejector pin marks inside the doors of course. I cut some thin card to the right shape and size and fixed it in the recesses rather than fiddling about filling and sanding.

The main gear legs have a pivot rod which slots into a u-shaped mounting block on the wing. This is the BEST fit I have been able to get so far without starting any modifications:

View attachment 96813

View attachment 96814

The whole mounting block in the wing is turned through 15 - 20 degrees so the wheels don't face forward and the base of the u/c leg catches on the mounting block when the leg is only at about 70 degrees.

There's a support strut to be added somewhere too, although the diagrams only show how it attaches to the u/c leg - no indication whatsoever of where the other end goes!

I've looked at some white metal replacement parts, but the problem is the mounting block in the wing itself so they wouldn't help. I could add bits to the existing mounting or remove it and build another but both are big jobs and very tricky as there's very little room to work between the u/c bay walls.

Maybe I could do a 'wheels-up version - use the pilot supplied, scrap the seatbelts and repaint the seat, then I could make a stand to fit the huge slots in the bottom of the fuselage which hold the slipper tank which I can't use ......

I already know I'm going to do the flaps closed because there's so much work involved correcting the actuators ....

.... and it looked so good in the box!

.... and why am I having to wait while my 'puter tries to keep up with my one-finger typing?

Bedtime methinks!

Main wheel1.JPG

Main wheel2.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks like a bit of very poor design , for the price you expect a bit better . The only thing I can suggest Dave is to thin the pivot rods a bit to allow the legs to sit at the right angle , I realise this will probably make them a loose fit , perhaps you could pack the u shaped block with milliput after fitting to take up the slack (once set) and give a more secure fixing, the retraction rod should also strengthen the leg a bit too. Tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've had a play around and managed to get the leg upright by gently carving away at the mounting. I suspect I'll have to cut the leg and rotate the bottom bit 'til it's straight then drill and pin the two halves back together to get the wheels facing forwards. I'm a bit reluctant to remove too much of the support mounting. This is a heavy beastie and I'd like to leave the u/c as strong as possible - I don't want it collapsing.

I've no idea where the other end of the support goes 'cos it only reaches about half way to the wing from it's attachment point on the leg! I'll have a look around on the net and see if I can find a picture showing where it's supposed to go.

I suppose most of my frustration is due to my expectations of quality based on the price. I've been looking at some of the fabulous work the other guys have been doing in this SSIG with their ancient Airfix kits and I'm thinking I ought to stop whinging and just get on with it as if mine's just a limited run kit. Same problems to solve but a different frame of mind might make them more acceptable if you see what I mean.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That is entirely understandable Dave. Pay for quality and you expect it to work.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I bet you will beat this into good shape. Frustration is high when you expect big money quality but get a big pile of problems instead.

Ian M