Gern's Cross of Iron build completed

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Here you go folks.

I told you I was keeping things simple for my first dio. I know it's far from perfect but I'm pleased with the way it's turned out.

The bushes were made from the scouring pads I bought. I tore them up and sprayed them with primer (I had to prime them as they're copper coated steel) then a dark brown colour. I twisted them around the fence posts and telephone pole then a quick spray with adhesive and a good sprinkle of dried parsley to create the 'leaves'.

Remind me to look for plastic scourers next time. Being metal this kind are VERY springy and it was a nightmare getting them to wrap round the posts!

Once all except the figure was in place, another spray with the adhesive then a good sprinkling of baking powder. Then shake off the excess, another spray and another sprinkle; then another, and another, and ..... I think I ended up with about 8 lots!

I forgot to get a picture, but the tall 'grass' comes from a cheap paint brush. If you take the metal cover from around the bristles, you can cut the bristles off in small bunches. Drill a small hole and just poke 'em in with a dab of wood glue. Be careful cutting the bristles though. The glue they use to fix them is tough - I nearly lost a finger when my blade slipped!

Anyway, I'd appreciate your comments - good or bad.

As I've finished this, I've got a Revell 1/35 Jagdpanther with an Ostfront colour scheme. I also got a small offcut I could use for a base and LOTS of bits left over from my dio so ......

Gern

PS Just noticed the extra picture - sorry!

View attachment 25705

View attachment 25706

View attachment 25707

View attachment 25708

View attachment 25709

View attachment 25710

View attachment 25711

View attachment 25712

View attachment 25713

View attachment 25714

View attachment 25715

IMGP0040.jpg

IMGP0048.jpg

IMGP0039.jpg

IMGP0045.jpg

IMGP0044.jpg

IMGP0047.jpg

IMGP0041.jpg

General layout.jpg

IMGP0042.jpg

IMGP0046.jpg

IMGP0043.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Cracking build Dave, five from me mate.

Have fun, John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's really nice. It's a great idea well executed. There's nothing wrong with tanks and aircraft etc but your diorama gives pause for thought.It's all to easy to ignore the effects of the german invasion on the civilian population. There must have been literally millions of scenes similar to this.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Very nicely done Dave. A truly poignant scene. The pose and expression of the woman has that sad acceptance of the waste of war.

G

garethm

Really nice Dave, I like the bushes and grass effects, Goes to show that with a good eye you can utilise bits and pieces from the kitchen to good effect, by the way does the better half keep looking for missing items? I have used baking powder for winter scenes and you have got excellent results with it.

Good job mate. Gareth.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Top notch stuff Dave, nice and simple, yet with a powerful message.

Very well done.

Ron

C

Caledonia

Hi Dave, as spanner570 say's beautifully simple and a strong thought provoker. 5 star from me too. Cheers Derek

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'd like to thank everyone for your kind comments on my simple dio.

I've been looking at the other dios coming out of this particular GB and I can see I've still got a long way to go! Not that I'm worried about that. Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm expecting it to take me a while to develop my skills - just glad I found a forum where I can show my stuff with no worries and get all the help I need.

Anyway, despite your kindness, no-one pointed out the glaring omissions! As it was, my dio could have represented just about anywhere in Eastern Europe during the 20th century. Because it's supposed to be the Eastern Front, I thought I'd better add a few touches to show that.

Coincidence also cropped up yesterday. I was wondering how the old lady had cut her firewood. Looking at the Jagdpanther I'm doing for my second build, I noticed it's a development of some earlier version - and had a spare axe. So now I know how she got her wood!

One final comment and I'll let you go.

I was hoping this dio got you asking yourselves a question: "What is she thinking about?"

Did it?

Gern

View attachment 25748

View attachment 25749

View attachment 25750

View attachment 25751

IMGP0064.jpg

IMGP0062.jpg

IMGP0063.jpg

IMGP0061.jpg

F

Fenlander

It did indeed Dave. She could have many thoughts and emotions from sadness of the waste of war, which was the first thought that struck me. However, it can be viewed many ways, she could be mourning the loss of a loved one, she could be inwardly happy that the hated invader is now under the sod. But above all, she could be asking that eternal question of war that we all ask at some point. "Why?"

C

Caledonia

Being an elderly lady she probably was thinking, friend or foe, they were some bodies father/son.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Dave, I missed the conclusion to this, your first summer G.B.

Sure does highlight the futility of all conflicts. A very nice and well thought out piece of work.

I am glad you put the helmets on the crosses, they are highlighted in the snow just perfectly...

Very well done.

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

Nice powerful dio. The foliage is spot on and the composition is excellent.

Well done, great work

Also looking forward to the Jagdpanther

Paul

N

noble

A very moving and thoughtful scene well thought out and very well exicuted this scene must have been an all to common sight during the german occupation of russia,very nice work indeed mate.

scott

R

rogue-one

hi dave. this is excellent. very well done, the snow, the bushes, all of it. like the other guys have said, its a powerful and moving wee dio.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
HI dave, sorry ive missed this one completely, so imagine my surprise when i stumbled across this absolutely superb scene! I just love the fact that its so simple yet so powerful and the composition of it is spot on too with the telegraph pole and bush just providing enough background -Brilliant! The bush looks great by the way, ill have to nick that technique (how about putting it in the unconventional materials thread? It could do with a bump, and lets face it ,you dont get much more unconventional than dried parsley!!!!!) and the baking powder snow is excellent too,might have to use that one too ( il2 stormovik on skis in the stash!) Top work mate ,a well deserved 5 stars. One last thing , which figure set did you get ena sharples from?!!masterbox- corrie stars of the 70's?!! Cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Much appreciated.

Tony - 'Ena' came from the Plus Model Refugee set in resin. I thought it was quite expensive (for me at least) and the quality of the mouldings isn't brilliant but it was the only place I could find that type of figure (I've still got 'Minnie Caldwell' and the two kids!)

I'm sure I've already seen someone using dried herbs for foliage in the unconventional materials thread. I'll have a look. If it's not there I'll add it in.

Gern