Gern's FW 190 GB

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
FANTASTIC! i love it dave , the silt looks so real, brilliant! and so different too , cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi folks,

Not done anything to my build for a week or so. Mainly 'cos I've been gloating over my purchases at Cosford and daydreaming about when and how I'd like to build them! I've tried using masking tape to make lifting straps but it's not strong enough (at least, I'm not confident that it will be!). I've got a couple of ideas in mind so I'm still thinking about that.

In the meantime:

I'm guessing that the fuel tank in the centre of the fuselage under the wings was some sort of drop tank - and I've heard it referred to as one. If my poor pilot dropped the tank just before ditching, which seems likely as it would seriously interfere with any attempt to land, would the pylon remain attached to the 'plane or the tank?

Gern

PS John, is it just my 'puter or is there a problem with the links to the GB? I had to go through the search engine to find it!

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
There shouldn't be any problems it's working for me I don't know if anyone else is having a problem?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Initially, the pylon would stay attached to the aircraft, however, on ditching who can say what would happen to it?

Gern, I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a photo on Google images of your 190 on pallets shortly after the aircraft was brought ashore, and the belly is sat fair and square on pallets.....no pylon!

So, I reckon it's fair to assume the drop tank was dropped prior to ditching and the pylon was either ripped off or the sea claimed it!

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Ron. I knew someone would be able to help. I'll have a scratch around and see if I can find that picture you're talking about.

Gern

PS How's the sunburn? Or did your bouncy nurse turn up with the Ambre Solaire?

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
Lifting straps

Just noticed that senior management has turned up with some iron on fabric strips.

No idea what for BUT they are made of a very finely woven thread and about 1.5" (can't do metric yet) wide.

Could be worth considering for lifting straps as you can cut to the desired width/length...

Alternatively, what about the nylon strapping used to secure cardboard boxes?

Peter

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I somehow missed this. As regards the "pylon". This was an ETC 501 and could hold a bomb or,as you have correctly surmised, a drop tank. Had he had a drop tank there is no way he would ditch with it attached. On dropping the tank the rack and sway braces stay with the aircraft. If your machine doesn't have it (like the real one) it was most likely not fitted at all. It could have been torn off on ditching as well.

Good to know you are making progress.

I've attached a plan of an ETC 501 rack.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 23491

ETC rack..JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Pedro,

I thought about cutting down some sort of fabric material, but the scale width I'm looking for is only about 2 - 3 mm. I'm not sure I could cut that accurately with scissors (I need some fairly long lengths) and cutting fabric with a modelling knife could also be tricky. I tried to find some nylon parcel tape but had no joy with that either.

I think I might have solved the problem though. I'm going to try and sandwich a strip of PTFE tape (the very smooth white tape that plumbers use for sealing screw threads on jointed pipes) between a couple of strips of Tamiya masking tape. The masking tape will look like fabric and the PTFE tape will provide the strength.

If that doesn't work, I'll be back looking for that nylon strapping you mention.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Steve. This Fujimi kit has the pylon but no sway braces. Looks like they will have to have been torn off during the ditching, or generally rotted away under the water!

Gern

B

backonthecase

The pylon, tank and aircraft could all have been separated, so it would appear you can have it either way of your choice

HTH

Stuart

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Thanks Steve. This Fujimi kit has the pylon but no sway braces. Looks like they will have to have been torn off during the ditching, or generally rotted away under the water!Gern
Dave, just to repeat my previous post, there is a photo of your 190 on Google taken shortly after it arrived ashore.

I wish I could find it for you again, but I've had no luck, but it is there, honest!

The belly is resting directly on half a dozen pallets. I can definately say without question, there is absolutely nothing still hanging from the underside of this aircraft, except seaweed!!!!

Also the engine compartment looks decidedly saggy from the firewall forward....I suspect it fractured sometime after it came clear of the water.

So as has been said, do what you like to your model, even the rivet counters and perfectionists won't be able to argue this time!!!!!!

I hope this clears things up a bit for you.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK folks,

I've managed to do a bit more. I've got my base completed.

A cheap picture frame with 'rippled' glass replacing the original flat glass with the backing painted dark blue and a coating of Future coloured with food colouring.

A welding rod and some Evergreen strip and sheet for the jib.

A bit of cheap 'bling' to supply some chain and a hook.

My first bit of scratch building. Although it's a very amateur result, I'm pleased with it and I reckon it looks quite good - from a couple of feet away! Any closer and you can spot all sorts of not-so-good bits.

I had looked to see if I could find some sort of kit for my crane but no luck. This is not meant to show a specific crane type, just a generic jib to hang my 'plane from.

Just got to make the slings and fit the undercarriage and I'm done. Should hopefully be sometime this week.

Gern

View attachment 23695

View attachment 23696

View attachment 23697

Crane hook.jpg

Crane 1.jpg

Crane 2.jpg

F

Fenlander

That looks good to me Dave, the ripple effect looks very good. I think this is going to be quite spectacular. I think you have done right in going for a 'crane jib' rather than concentrating on a model of a real crane, it would have detracted from the FW which is the main subject.