Gern's Osprey for Photo GB

R

roconnell

Hi Gern,

Just came accross this and watching with interest.

I love your first photo line-up of completed crew....is it only me or did anyone else start humming YMCA?

Look forward to seeing more of this project. By the way where will you store it after, I know SWMBO would kill me!

Rich

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I love your first photo line-up of completed crew....is it only me or did anyone else start humming YMCA?

Rich
Hi Rich. I think it was probably just you! :lol

I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to find room for this. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I have no SWMBO so I've only got to find somewhere flat to set it down.

Having enjoyed this so far, I started thinking about doing another, 'normal' type helicopter. I've got two I really like. One is the Trumpeter Chinook and the other is the Heller Super Frelon. Problem is, both are in 1/35 and they are absolutely gihugeous! I think they're both about 750mm long with something like a 500 mm rotor diameter! Oh well. At the rate I build there's no desperate rush to find shelf space.

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats the one thing that puts me off of doing helicopters, the space needed for them once done.

I am though waiting for the Airfix release of the Lynx and later the Merlin. 1/48 scale, should be able to find a place for those.

If you want a mahusive chopper (?!?!? oh er! ) Have a ganders at the Hind that Trumpy do. 1/35 scale and totally wicked.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's on my 'Most wanted' list Ian. Did you ever come across this one:

Mil 24 Hind | Precise Modeling

That's some build!

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I guess most of you know what ambidextrous means. There ought to be a word 'ambisinister' meaning the exact opposite - 'cos that describes me to a T! B****y useless with both hands!

My Osprey was coming along quite nicely 'til I joined the two fuse halves. I had to clamp it to make sure the joins were tight. I don't know what went wrong, but when I took it out of the clamps, I'd either not placed them right or I'd knocked it when setting in down. Either way, the join to the tail had slipped out of alignment by nearly 2 mm on one side and that had thrown up a step between the fuse halves all along the top of the fuse!

Lots and lots of 'fill, sand repeat' to get it looking half right. I'm sure I can fix the seam along the fuse, but the tail is going to have to remain on the skew. Fortunately I don't think it will be too noticeable - especially if I get my camera angles right!

Gern

B

beav1013

hey gern. just curious how this is coming along. made any progress with the beast?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Jim. Yeah I've made some progress but I'm late again with a GB entry!

I think I've managed to sort out the problems I mentioned about the skewed tail joint. I've certainly spent long enough filling and sanding! Have to see when I put a coat of paint on it.

I also found a dirty great scratch on the windscreen. I've just got hold of some very fine sanding sticks from John so I'm going to have a try at cleaning it up.

I only started a new job at the beginning of this month so I've not had any real quality modelling time. I think I've got to grips with the job so hopefully I'll be doing more. I'll try and post some progress shots this weekend.

Gern

B

beav1013

glad things worked out with the job. look forward to seeing some pics.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I wouldn't say I've got everything sorted at work. I managed to get myself locked in when we closed on Friday! Poor girl was half way home and had to turn round and come back to let me out.

Anyway, a little progress. Just a last minute bit of cleaning up I noticed when I took the pics and the fuse is ready for paint.

Had a go at the scratch on the canopy using the extra fine sanding stick from Squadron. I might as well have stuck a sanding disc in my Black and Decker and used that! Just spent an hour with toothpaste and a cosmetic nail polishing block to get rid of the marks left by the sanding stick. There's still a faint haze of marks left but I reckon a dunk in Klear will take care of that. I have noticed there are a few small black flecks on the canopy which seem to be embedded in the plastic so they'll have to stay.

I haven't taken pics of the canopy as my camera is only a cheap thing and my photography skills aren't good enough.

Gern

View attachment 38490

View attachment 38491

Filled 1.jpg

Filled 2.jpg

B

beav1013

looks like you recovered nicely with the filling and sanding. good luck with the rest.