Gern's Sherman

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just as a break from painting the figures for my D-day build, I thought I'd have a go at this one. i've had a good look at the parts and it all looks straightforward and I can do 95% of it before digging out my paints.

View attachment 77570

View attachment 77571

View attachment 77572

Gern

PS Don't expect anything special with this! I don't think I'll be adding any sort of base as it's only there to give me a break from the small stuff I'm doing!

Box.JPG

Instructions.JPG

Sprues.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I joined the tracks using this:

View attachment 77573

It's a two-part glue. You coat both surfaces with the primer and leave to dry - a matter of seconds as it's some sort of solvent and you can see it evaporating. This apparently affects the surface of the polythene and allows the CA glue to grip properly. A drop of CA on one surface and hold them together for a few seconds and the joint is done. It's worked really well and created a very strong joint.

I bought this some time ago when I was doing a few 1/72 figures made of soft plastic and said I'd let you know when I tried it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-CLEAR-ADHESIVE-GLUE-GEL-FOR-PP-Polypropylene-PE-Polyethylene-PTFE-Silicone-/281227720573?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item417a7a777d

Gern

Polyethylene Glue.JPG

P

Polux

Yeah!! The Calliope one!!

Excellent choice ;)

I'm glad you take part on this SIG, Gern. With or without base.... :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Got the wheelie bits ready for painting. This is a fairly old kit so there's flash and mould seams to be dealt with but nothing a few swipes with a sanding stick didn't sort - OK the tyres took a lot of swipes! I did have to remove a couple of the locating pins between the outer halves of the bogies as they didn't line up correctly. Once the pins were gone though, I got everything lined up OK.

View attachment 77578

Gern

Wheels1.JPG

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking good never seen that glue before hope it works well..and like the wheelie things like the way your going to spray them nice idea

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Some more progress. No problems with the turret except the carpet monster ate one of the grab handles. Easy enough to make a new one from some wire. I removed the locating pins from the back of the rocket assemblies so I could file the surface flat ready for the firing mechanisms. That way, they'll hopefully fit flush and look like one continuous length of tube for each rocket.

View attachment 77599

View attachment 77600

View attachment 77601

View attachment 77602

Gern

Rocket1.JPG

Rocket2.JPG

Turret1.JPG

Turret2.JPG

P

Polux

Wow!! you are going so fast with this one Gern :smiling3:

Looking very good so far.

Polux

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice start Dave and thanks for the link about the glue, cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the feedback folks. All going smoothly with just a few bits of clean up to do at the front of the rocket tubes (every time I blow away any sanding dust off them, I get the chorus from Zorba the Greek!). I got the turret and wheels primed with Halfords Grey - then Polux had to comment

about how fast it was going! :sad:

There's a problem with the fit of the hull. Have a look at the pics and you'll see there's a massive gap at the front end. I think I can fix it by putting in some wedges between the glacis plate and the hull sides. Fortunately I managed to break the glue joints there so I've got hopes.

View attachment 77659

View attachment 77660

View attachment 77656

View attachment 77657

View attachment 77658

Gern

Hull front1.JPG

Hull front2.JPG

Hull front3.JPG

Turret3.JPG

Wheels2.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Interesting subject Dave. This is coming along nicely, looks good

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Dave, coming along nice ,

you going to refit the hall or just fill it ? hope it turns out ok for you

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've done all the building apart from the ancillary bits like tools etc which will need painting beforehand. Got the hull and rocket assembly masked and ready for priming.

For those who may not have seen this, paint and glue don't mix very well. That's why I've masked off some of the parts - it gives me clean bits of plastic ready for glueing.

View attachment 77685

View attachment 77686

Gern

masking1.JPG

masking2.JPG

P

Polux

\ said:
then Polux had to commentabout how fast it was going! :sad:

Gern
Errrhhh....I said with my best intention...sorry if I said something out of place :oops:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
No worries Polux - just my weird sense of humour. It's just that every time someone says things are OK - that's just when things start going wrong for me! ;)

Gern

First Name
Richard
Hi Gern,

looking good so far,

good idea with the masking tape for clean glue spots. I used to sand or scratch the paint away with the scalpel.

taking this one home ;)

Cheers Richi

K

Kressy_13

Coming along nicely mate. A menacing looking tank with all those rockets.