getting pigments to "stick"

J

just dave

Hi guys. Sorry if this a daft question, but..

I've got myself some artists soft pastels which I've been using to create pigments for weathering. I've tried mixing with water and washing up liquid and that seams to work, but when it dries it all comes off too easily and I have to keep re-applying. I'd like to be able to create a dusted effect such as exhaust soot and I've tried dabbing the pigment on dry with a brush which again will work but then it just comes off as soon as I touch it. Is there a way of getting the dust to stick so that I can handle the model to apply a finishing coat? Or is it just a case of being careful?

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this maybe of some help,what I do is mix it with,50/50 water,PVA,white glues,

paint that on first were you won,t it,so that the pigments,will blend with the glue,

and color it to what ever color your using,there two,way you can do the next,bit,

when it is still wet,you can sprinkle,the dry pigment,over the top,or before sprinkling,

you can wait till dry,and make sure your happy,then,just use some more water/glue,

and drab,over were your done,and then add the dry pigment,on top,

hope this is of some help, ;)

D

dubster72

The best way that I know is to use a fixer, such as white spirit. Add the pigments/pastels where you want using a brush & then carefully apply some white spirit.

The trick is not to touch the pigments themselves - either touch the brush to a point nearby or dab at the area adjacent to where you've added the pigments. Don't worry if this causes the pigments to go dark, they'll return to their original colour once the solvent has flashed off - usually 2 or 3 hours at room temperature.

That still won't allow for direct handling, but you can always then airbrush a matt coat over the top to improve durability.

Hope this helps

Patrick

N

noble

This is how I do it mix up the desired colour add some water to thin, then add a few drops of humbrol decalfix and apply your pastels. Allow this to dry then if you find you need to re work the pastels then moisten a brush with some water and te work, you can do that as many times till you get the desired effect and once dry the decalfix will act like a glue so you will be able to handle the kit without all your work coming off on your hands.

Scott

D

Deleted member 3568

For the dust or soot effect just put the dust where you want it then from at least 18 inches away spray with your missus hair spray (acts as a fixer) when dry if you really want it to be handlable you could spray it with Matt varnish (that's how I fixed the pastels on my ship.

F

Fenlander

I use thinners to put in place then, when happy with it, I use Mig Pigment fixer which makes it permanent. A thinned down varnish would do much the same, in fact I suspect that is all the pigment fixer is.

However, make sure it is exactly how you want it first as you cannot alter it easily once fixed or varnished.