Gloster Gladiator Mk.I

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys,

Well, in between cardmodel posts, I really do get to do some work on plastic models lol. My most recent is Roden's Gloster Gladiator Mk.I in 1:48th scale.

I figured since I had completed the henschel 123 a1, that I needed to have a "balance" of power, so, I decided on this jewel. It goes together really well and is a pleasure to put together. As you can see, I need to clean up the canopy abit, it kinda' fogged on me with the gloss cote which I thought was unusual since I have never had that trouble before (I have had dullcote fog up clear plastic, but never glosscote).

Anyway, I also still need to do the "rigging" between the fuselage and wings and then it will be combat ready.

Have a good day,

Greg

R

rjwood_uk

lovely model as always there greg!

who is the kit made by, is it hasegawa?

N

Nigel.D

Nice model greg and it looks so good in B+W adds the period touch of authenticity

B

Bunkerbarge

I don't know what you guys think but the canopy may be recoverable with a coat of Future.

If you painted the gloss cote on the outside only I think it is worth giving it a coat of Future and see how it looks.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Nice model of the Gladiator Greg,is this a new kit or re-issue of the old Impact moulds ?

For the canopy try toothpaste to restore it back to condition.

The last of the British biplane fighters and the pilots hated the canopy.

M

maxidad66

Nice build, Greg. I had my eye on a couple of Roden kits on e-bay, but got outbid. I'd like to give rigging a try as I've never built a WW1 or bi-plane before.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys,

This is a 1:48 scale model by RODEN, I am not sure if its a re issue, the box makes no mention of it.

As for the fogging, thanks for the tips, I usually use a clean brush with clean testors thinner on it to remove any fogging and it also works on small "flecks" of paint that inadvertantly get on a model either thru overspray, fingers with paint on them or misplaced brush strokes lol. I could just use abit of paint to touch up any "flecks" on a paint job, but I have found that sometimes the "fleck" will mix with the touch up paint and you end up with a color that is a different shade even if you are "dabbing" the touch up paint on the model.

An exacto knife can sometimes be used to "scrape" the fleck of unwanted paint from a model too, but this should only be used on "specks or flecks" of paint and not on large ares of paint.

As for the B&W photo, I have found that not only does it add abit or realism, but its also great for hiding small mistakes. It makes things like fogging a little less noticible.

Thanks for the kind words, once I finish this model, I am off to work on a Gloster Javelin and then back to work on my Handley Page Victor, in "desert storm" sand color and then a Panavia Tornado to go with it as part of a diaroma of the Victor Refueling the Tornado (I hope). That Victor is a very large model.

Anyway, thank you all for the kind words and I will get a better photo of the completed Gladiator as soon as I finish.

Have a good day,

Greg

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Nigel,

No, lol I havent gotten around to it yet, today was Payday for me so I have had a busy day. But I did make some nice Bases/stands for the Henschel and the Gladiator, they are wooden oval plaques that I painted black ontop, and trimmed with silver, put a high gloss coat over the whole thing and added Name plates of the two models to them also.

I also got a little bit of work done on the Gloster Javelin, but those pics are for a different thread. I will post more pics of the Gladiator when I get the rigging on it and the Henschel.

Have a good day,

Greg

View attachment 14588

View attachment 14589

View attachment 14590

stands 1.JPG

stands 2.JPG

stands 3.JPG

B

Bunkerbarge

Very neat job Greg. The bases set these models of superbly and contrast with the matt finish of the aircraft.

I've got to ask though, you are obviously currently very prolific in your build program so where on earth do you keep them all? The display itself has to be worth a picture!

R

rjwood_uk

they look great Greg!

your stands do an excellant job of setting the model off! They are simple in disign but are brilliant and perfect for the job at the same time. Lovely craftsmenship as usual Greg!

thanks for sharing.

maybe you could do a little thread on how you build/fashion/paint..etc the stands?

Richard

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Bunker, RJ,

Well, The number of plastic models I have built now (ya'll have seen most all of them)pale in comparison to the number I had when I was married.......127 models of airplanes, helicopter, tanks and rockets, most in 1:48 scale, the rest in 1:72 . I gave all of those models away, sold them to hobby shops for displays or they were claimed by attrition (broken and trashed). I figured it up one day several yrs ago, and I had at one time about $2,500 invested in models and materials like paint, airbrushes etc.

As of right now, the models I have are just kinda scattered about, some still sitting partially assembled in their boxes, some on bases like the gloster and the henschel. I have a 4 bedroom house and live by myself, however, I have one room devoted to the computer and building models, so thats where most of them are right this minute.

I need to build some shelves although I do have a few nice Cabinets I could place them in. However, the cabinets have "junk" like china in them lol.

But then again, I have been mulling over the idea of hanging the models from the ceiling. Like I said, I hadnt built many since my divorce back in 97' so I hadnt been confronted with this problem until now.

Currently I have a Canadair 210 "Water Bomber" sitting partially built in its box, the Handley page victor is started, the javelin is started, a 1:35th scale Heinkel salamander is partially built in its box, calling my name, there are models of a merkava tank, a british challenger, a soviet sam six self propelled surface to air missile, a leopard2 and a KIFV (korean infantry fighting vehicle) started as well as a model of a dehavilland dragon rapide, a SR71 an X15 and a cessna skymaster and the Panavia tornado.......and I think thats all.

And to top it all off, I need to de fog the Gladiators canopy, and build the rigging on it, the henschel and a Grumman F3F 2 "flying barrel". I figure all the above mentioned models should last me a day or two lol.

But have no fear, I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow, which means I will be hitting the hobby shop again lol.

OOps, I also have a dehavilland Vampire and a testors "texan", a testors SBD Dauntless, an A 37 "dragonfly" and a hasegawa skyray that I need to build too.

Whew! Ok, so I am good thru the weekend, thats why I need to go to the hobby shop again tomorrow lol.

Now that list above doesnt include the cardmodels I have either. Plus, I still have a ton of them printed up and ready to cut out.

Like I tell people over at the cardmodels site sometimes, I could build a cardmodel each month for the rest of my life and still not finish all that I have.

OOPs, I see another I have to build, an Italeri 1:35th scale M 107 self propelled howitzer and another, a fujimi Boeing Vertol helicopter.

( I better quit looking before I find more sitting here.)

Now what was the other question? Oh yeah, Thread on the bases, No Problem. I will start on that tonight maybe. I will get the measurements of the plaques and I already know they are only 97 cents each here in the US.

Ok I will get started on that shortly, have a good evening all,

Greg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A busy workbench then Greg ! it is really good to see someone enjoying their modelling to the full,at least with the card models they can be stored flat unbuilt.

What a pity that you are so far away and unable to make our meet up at Cosford.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Barry,

Yes, it is a full "workbench"...well it would be if I had a bench lol, alot of my models are put together right here on this little slide out shelf that my keyboard sits on, made into the computer desk. I just bought three new models yesterday, the now infamous minicraft ventura, a sukoi su 20 "last flight" model and a 1/35th scale M 270 Multiple rocket launch system (MRLS) like was used in desert storm by both the USA and the UK.

I do really wish I was close enough to attend the meeting I think it would be great to meet you guys.

Well maybe some other time we can all get together.

have a good day,

Greg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A little while ago we had a very interesting 'Show us your workbench' theme,the idea was to just take a picture of your workbench has it was with no tidying up for the cameras,that was when we only had a small handfull of members here,we may just do an update on that theme soon ! you would be amazed at the different working conditions we all have,it was an education in itself.

N

Nigel.D

Ohhh I bet Richard will be on the phone to Annette so she can clean up his bench again LMAO !!!!!!!

B

Bunkerbarge

I can assure you that Annette does not go near my workbench and I even made her one of her very own so there is never any need to do so!!

The workbench in the garage has now been enhanced with the addition of a new lathe and a small milling machine(I just can't get away from the Model Engineering show at Harrogate without buying something!) Last leave I stuck up some shelves to give me a bit more room and get that flaming Robbe U-47 out of the way but I also had to find somewhere to store the new Admiralty tug.

Annette says I should put my bed down there. Not too bad an idea really!!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
All of the joys of living with a model builder Richard ?