Gloster Meteor, Airfix, 1/72

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
since im coming to the end of the Gloster Gladiator i hought id do another from the Gloster stable

since the Glad was the last biplane fighter of the RAF i thought it would good to do the first jet powered fighter, the Meteor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor

its amazing to think of the short time span between the two.....the Gladiator entered service in 1937.....the Meteor in 1944....thats what technological advances get made when theres a war on

kit isnt as old as i thought it was, i looked it up, it was 'new tool' in 1970....still old i know but i thought it had been around since the early 60s

there was a big gap behind the seat so i added some plastic card to fill it in

D

Doug Hughes

Yes - I hadn't noticed the small amount of time between the Gladiator and the Meteor. That's really interesting. Ah, 1970. I was 14, and I remember going out and buying the Meteor when it first appeared. Those were the days when Airfix seemed to bring out something new and exciting almost weekly - I remember the Fiat G50, Petlyakov Pe2, Short Stirling, He 177 (haven't checked the exact dates, though). It was a severe strain on my pocket money and my parents' patience. Good luck with the build!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
- I remember the Fiat G50, Petlyakov Pe2, Short Stirling, He 177 (haven't checked the exact dates, though).!
G50 was 1967

Pe2 was 1968 (and i picked up a new issue one recently :smiling3: )

Stirling was 1966

He177 was 1967

i wouldnt mind picking up a G50, i can remember doing that way waaaaaaay back then

and i was 9 in 1970 :P

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Timeline for this kit here http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=197740

Looks to be a nicely moulded kit for it's age. Even the rivets are not over done.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Paul. I see the old Humbrol 'M' paint numbers there.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Looking good Paul. I see the old Humbrol 'M' paint numbers there.
yep.....and converted into vallejo air :P

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Spill the beans then.It will make it easier for when I do mine Paul :smiling3: :rolleyes:
lol....i think i have got it roughly right but dont shout if i havnt :P

green M3 = 71012 olive green

slate grey M2 = 71048 Dark sea grey

light grey M13 = 71050 Light aircraft grey

J

Jimbobtheflimbob

i look forward to seeing this build progress. i quite like the meteor. hopefully air fix will retool the old meteor.

Will

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
currently on hold as my ab has gone u/s and i cant afford a new one at the moment