Glue and tools

N

Neill

Folks

Is superglue ok for resin (with me it will be occassional figures only) and photoetch? Looking at using Loctite and was thinking it might be to fast setting if your trying to position etch or a resin head lol.

This shows my naiviety around etch but I have standard metal needle files. Can i use these with etch for sanding or do I need to buy the likes of Tamiya file that John sells which i purpose made for photoetch?

Looking at the Tamiya etch tools on the shop. Theres two types of pliers big or small. Which is the better for general work and also if you are new to photoetch is it worth getting the tweezers and scissors to? Tamiyas stuff is pricey but worth it. All suggestions and insults much appreciated;) To many questions I know. Sorry peeps.

First Name
Jimbob
Super glue is fine for resin and photo etch I use thick super glue it has a setting time about 20-30 sec, ideal when some repositioning is required.
For filing pe I use a sanding stick pe is thin enough to use sticks, scissors are fine for cutting it off the etch, a very fine pair of tweezers are good for picking up the tiny pieces. You get what you pay for when it comes to tools get the best you can afford. Hope that answers some of your queries. Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
As Jim has said, superglue is fine. I also use the thicker stuff as it takes longer to dry so allows time for positioning, and skinny sanding sticks are fine for removing the nubs.

For bending I have recently purchased the Hold and Fold 5 speed. It's pricey, but then if you buy the long and short Tamiya pliers you have already spent £45, another £25 will buy you a more versatile tool. For picking up small PE I use a wax pencil.

All of the above is available from John. :smiling3: