Going to use AB for first time

W

Wilko

I am going to use the airbrush i just bought over the weekend, and was just hoping to get a few tips on using Tamiya paints.

i would imagine they have to be thinned, but has anybody got a good ratio and what soft of PSI to set the brush at.

Thanks

S

Stevekir

I don't use Tammiya paints (except sometimes their clear gloss varnish). As no Tamiya-user has replied, I would dilute about 5 or 10 %, using Tamiya thinner, and about 20 PSI (assuming a needle size of 0.3 or 0.4 mm). Experiment on plastic bottles. Sainsbury's and Asda's 2 litre lemonade bottles are perfect, having a smooth (polished) surface. No need to prime (on the bottles) but wash the outside first. The bottles, being clear, give the impression that more paint is needed to build up colour, (the light shines through the plastic and the paint) than is needed on a plastic model, So take that into account when spraying on a model.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I don't use Tamiya paints either, just V air, enamels, oil paints, etc. So mixing is something I tend to keep away from...with my dodgy hands it is just one more thing to drop and spill lol.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Adrian
I use mainly Tamiya, I don't have a ratio that I use par se, I tend to follow advice I got a few years back and make it the same thickness as milk, I use Isopropanol (99% Alcohol ) to thin and to do cleaning when I service my Airbrush. Other wise I just use Concentrated car screen wash to clean out my airbrush. As for pressure it all depends on the effects , I know people that never vary theirs, one extra I bought for my airbrush was a crown tip this allows me to get the brush really close to the model on a low pressure without getting any blow back as the air can still escape through the sides, ideal if you want to do very fine lines for camo patterns. There will be lots of different opinions but its all about practice and getting a feel for the way you work, what may work for one person may not suit your style. The bottle tip from steve is a good idea, and another cheap way to practice is to use food dye in water and spray onto paper.

Adrian

W

Wilko

Thanks for the advise. I actually got to use it for the first time today after all that. Being my birthday i finally had a day to myself...LOL

I used some Tamiya thinner, but i would imagine it has pretty much the same result as the IPA. I will try it with the IPA just incase the thinning consistency is slightly different or just cheaper. :smiling3:

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Thanks for the advise. I actually got to use it for the first time today after all that. Being my birthday i finally had a day to myself...LOLI used some Tamiya thinner, but i would imagine it has pretty much the same result as the IPA. I will try it with the IPA just incase the thinning consistency is slightly different or just cheaper. :smiling3:
Most of the advice is that the thinner should be made by the same firm that made the paint. As a beginner in airbrushing, perhaps you should play safe for the time being.

P

phalinmegob

tamiya paint usually does not require a lot of thinning at all, i usually just add a few drops of their own thinner to the paint cup before adding the paint and then give a little stir.

W

Wilko

Thanks for that, i will try that next time. I have found that the Tamiya thinners do seem to work pretty well, so will be sticking with them for now. Thanks

P

phalinmegob

works better than water with revell aqua paints as well but dont try to thin revell aqua metallics, they turn to stodge