Got a busy few weeks figure painting ahead

J

Jack10

I've spent tonight cleaning up and gluing these guys together (17 figures in total) all ready for priming tomorrow morning
IMG_2590.JPG

I'm going to use them in 2 dioramas. There are the Tamiya front line infantry set that I will use in the diorama I'm working on to go with my halftrack, also I will be using 2 figures from the Tamiya german machine gun set in the same dio.

I also have masterbox german elite infantry IMG_2591.JPG

which I will use in a different diorama with a mini art barn I have.

The masterbox set is a lovely kit as you'd expect. Awesome detail, and loads of extra equipment and accesories which I can use on future builds. The faces are very detailed so I look forward to painting them .

I will probably paint the figures in groups of 4. Or maybe even less depending how the first few turn out.

J

Jack10

Started on my first group of figures...IMG_2594.PNG IMG_2595.JPG

Got the stubble beard effect by adding humbrol smoke weathering powder on dry. I like how it turned out

J

Jack10

A bit more work on the camoflage.
IMG_2604.JPG And small details done ready for a coat of varnish and a wash then some highlighting

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
J

Jack10

Thanks. Don't suppose anyone can offer some advice....how many coats of Matt varnish do I need to apply to dull down a coat of gloss. I've done 2 thin coats of Vallejo Matt varnish but the figures still look quite shiny

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've never used Vallejo matt varnish, but W & N Galeria does the job with one coat if well mixed.

Pete

J

Jens Andrée

I find the Vallejo Matt varnish not so matt to be honest, but it's matt'er with Vallejo thinner for some reason?
Sadly I'm way behind you on figure painting so I can't really be of any help but I like the Vallejo thinner on my models. Figure I don't varnish yet but I've had to repaint a few a couple of times after doing a mistake and ruining everything since I don't varnish them. Oh, well. Life goes on ;)

I've heard others mention " & N Galeria before so that must work, otherwise you can probably try Tamiya XF-86 but that's just a guess from my side. Perhaps better to listen to the pro's!
Love your work though!!!

J

Jack10

Thanks guys. I've given it a coat of the Tamiya stuff jens.... fingers crossed this will work better as I was very happy with how they were looking until I varnished them!

J

Jack10

The figures are coming along very nicely Jack, I really like the stubble effect you've done.
Thanks bud. Just a bit of smoke coloured pigment on the brush dry then sealed it with some varnish from spray can. Was just playing around with it and turned out really well. Can't for the life of me find a Matt varnish to take the sheen off the others though!

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks bud. Just a bit of smoke coloured pigment on the brush dry then sealed it with some varnish from spray can. Was just playing around with it and turned out really well. Can't for the life of me find a Matt varnish to take the sheen off the others though!
Testors Dullcoate, gives a very very matte finish, nasty stuff to spray though (from a can) :smiling:

J

Jack10

Testors Dullcoate, gives a very very matte finish, nasty stuff to spray though (from a can) :smiling3:
I've had bad experiences with varnishes from cans leaving a dusty white powder? Does this stuff leave that or not? It was humbrol spray can I'm talking about though I know they aren't the best. Where do you buy the testers stuff from?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will try that on a figure when I build one next thanks.

J

Jack10

Cheers guys cracking on with 2 more figures tonight when they are done I can finish diorama 1!

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've had bad experiences with varnishes from cans leaving a dusty white powder? Does this stuff leave that or not? It was humbrol spray can I'm talking about though I know they aren't the best. Where do you buy the testers stuff from?

Nope no white dust,just need to spray from a distance and ensure you always keep the can moving.

J

Jack10

Nope no white dust,just need to spray from a distance and ensure you always keep the can moving.
I've had a look online only can of it I can find was on amazon for £50!!! Don't fancy paying that sort of money. Is it available in any stores in the U.K.?