Graham's Heros of the Soviet People GB Diorama

M

msm2

Would be good to see that. Some books are not cheap. One book I would like to obtain has a price of nearly £250.. Tony

F

Fenlander

We cannot reproduce books, not only would it be impractical, it would also be illegal lol.

However, I am sure that in time, we will get a great library of information. The Reference forum is open now.

C

Cov1

Me likes the T34 Graham, again great detail on a smaller scale and good build as well.

I defo got to bag me a 1/48 Tamiya. I was in a Model shop in London today and the range was nearly as big as it's 1/35 cousin.

All the best

Ade

F

Fenlander

Finally got the chance to spray the T34 and Gaz with primer. I like to use a primer not only to help the final colour settle better but it also shows up any fit issues. Amazingly, there is very little remedial work to do on either of these. The fit is really good.

B

bikerbart

Looking great Graham, the primer alone brings these things to life, well done so far, regards Martin :smiling:

K

Kressy13

They are both looking great mate. Keep up the good work.

Kresten.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Graham

The hardware is looking real good. Did the T-34 come with that cast texture to the turret - it looks wicked!

I believe I'm building the same tank in 1/35, this model is from factory 112 with the external fuel tanks. Don't worry, that's pretty much all I know about T-34s!

Cheers

Paul

Ps. 16 figures!!!...

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

Yep, that is the texture on the cast turret. I have not altered anything. Yep, double checked and the total figure count including the four figures that come with the Gaz (there are 7 but 3 will not be used) comes to 16 at the moment. Not sure at this stage if i will add any more or leave some out. It does include the T34 commander and driver though.

Note for Martin. The commander and driver figures in the Tamiya Russian troop box work well with the T34 so think about leaving the two hatches open if you want to use them. You can always glue them down again if you change your mind.

B

bikerbart

Nice one Graham, i do like the idea of having them open, i think it will add to the story im trying to create...and will give me even more opportunity to improve my figure painting lol :smiling:

N

norm

gram, I don't know if you do this, or if the head lights for the vehicles have clear lenses, but it they do, a great way to make the headlights look right is to put some thin aluminum foil in covering the inside of the lamp, it worked to great effect on my T-34. It gets the out side light to reflect out very realisticly

F

Fenlander

Nice tip Norm, I usually just paint with silver paint on the back but it never looks bright enough. Thanks for that, I will give it a try.

C

Cov1

Thanks for the tip Norm, will try that.

Graham the turret casting is great, its more effective than my AFV Club model, which is quite smooth, every T34 Ive seem was quite textured.

Now how to replicate that?

Looking forward to more.

Ade

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Graham, although I haven't posted on your thread I have been watching the initial construction.

Now I am back home I can contribute a bit more...

Nice build, painting and pictures. You are going to end up with one complex and very involved diorama....I will enjoy every bit of it!!

Well done thus far.

Ron

F

Fenlander

OK, it has been a rubbish few weeks as far as modelling is concerned, I just cannot get around to getting anything done. I would say that I have not had time but I would only be kidding myself so time for another kick up the backside.... Only 6 full weeks to go before the end of the Cross of Iron GB and I am struggling. Will really need to pul the stops out now as I have done very little up to now. The T34 (Tamiya 1:48) is done all but a light dusting to tone it down a bit and the hatches fastened in place to match the figures (oh God, still 16 of them to do and the diorama...)

Anyway, I like a challenge :sad:

A few pics of the T34, the other vehicles are nearing completion so they are not an issue, just the base and the figures really.

G

Greg147

Looking great so far. I too am a fan of Tamiya's 1/48 range.

A word on the T-34 crew though; I'm not sure if you've tried placing them in the vehicle yet, or if they're still in the box, but they don't fit the tank. The commander can be placed by shaving one his legs down a bit, so he actually leans from behind the turret hatch, but the driver is much more tricky. I had to cut his torso down, and place a number of cocktail sticks inside the tank to get his at the right height, and even then, his head blocks the hatch from sitting in place. If your T-34 is already glued down and finalised, you might have some trouble. But then again, you might have far better luck than me ;)

F

Fenlander

Thanks for the heads up Greg. I have test fitted them and you are right, they do need a bit of work to get them right. For this reason, I have not screwed the top in place yet. As you rightly point out, it would be quite difficult, if not impossible, to get the driver in with it all buttoned up I will be doing much the same as you have with the driver figure, the commander will have to do a bit of ballet dancing to hold the right position, thankfully, you won't be able to see down the hatch and catch sight of his tutu lol.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Graham

The T 34 looks great - I especially like the number and slogan on the back of the turret - it really looks hand applied and nicely scuffed, nice subtle weathering too. I hope you do get to finish as this is one of the dioramas I've really been looking forward to seeing (another great build amongst many others). If it's any consolation I'm really under the cosh with this build too I planned a pretty good schedule at the start of the GB but unfortunately that went out of the window about 6 weeks ago with very demanding work commitments. I am determined to finish though, as I know you will be, I don't want to be the guy that doesn't finish anything (I've still to complete the forest dio!)

Anyway, 6 weeks - come on Graham we can do it!

Looking forward to seeing the dozen or so figures and the vehicles, keep up the great work.

Paul