Graham's Normandy build.

F

Fenlander

I am diving into this one with no real plan (nothing new there then!) Anyway, I have a couple of basic ideas floating around, one simple, the other less so and I will start with this kit first and see where it takes me (please let it be the simple option....)

I have heard some horror stories about this kit so it will be interesting to see how it comes together.

T

treyzx10r

I'm sure this will be awesome simple or not Graham,looking forward to seeing it get underway

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh! Horror stories, I do like a good horror story, pray tell the tale of the haunted Dingo!

Looks like a quite detailed kit on the sprue, it is fit issues?

What ever you do with It I am sure you will pull a good one out of the hat.

Ian M

S

sprayman

Following this with great interest Graham, lets see that magic you do.....

S

Sky Raider

Yes Graham, if you work you normal magic on this it will turn out stunning, your vehicle exhibits are remarkable, looking forward to seeing this one underway.

Andy

R

rogue-one

good choice. i like the look of that. for a small armoured car it looks like a packed buzy wee kit! hope it goes well and watching this with interest. bobby.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice subject Graham. It will be interesting to see the diorama develop around this model.

ron

F

Fenlander

Oooo, Ron..... the 'D' word, scary stuff..... I keep shying away from the diorama but it has to happen some day and this may be it lol

Ian, it is a fit issues combined with the odd shape made up of even odder shaped panels and trying to line them up.

Kind words folks, nothing like a bit of pressure eh :laughing:

Anyway, had a good look at the kit and if I can grow at least another six arms and hands, it will be a doddle. Getting these panels together to create the characteristic shape of this little vehicle is going to be a bit of a problem, no locating pegs or lugs or anything, just butt joints on the lozenge shape, going to need some care to get the shape right.

Other thing is that the box is full of carpet monster food. Loads of little pieces some of which are bound to disappear with that little 'ping' we all know and love.

Just a bit of work done tonight between other things but I do think it will come together nicely.

The chair with the 'basket weave' seat is designed to swivel to access the radio rig behind it. None of this is glued in until I spray it all up and then take the radio rig out for painting and the PE guard frame that fits over the front. Yet another kit where I will be constantly building, painting, building, painting. but I believe it will be worth it, the detail looks really nice.

Am I right in thinking this would be painted in Bronze Green or was that post war?

S

Sky Raider

Wow, this is going to look real good, lots of internal detail work. Looking forward to seeing this one progress Graham.

Andy

B

Bunkerbarge

There's an awful lot of bits for a 1/35th armoured car. Rather you than me Graham, I'll stick with bigger bits that I can see!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Graham, I just read this Armorama :: In-Box Review: Dingo Mk. III Scout Car by Jim Rae review in Armorama, and it seams that you have a cracker of a kit there! I did a double take when I was all the sprue's and the instructions. Dude that's a lot of parts in such a tiny car!

262 parts on ten sprues!!! Good Luck!

A few fun facts about your car Graham; It was designed by BSA, Built by Daimler and the Dingo name comes from the Design Alvin submitted!

It had a drive reverser which meant that in effect, it had five forward and five reverse gears!

The tyres where run flat tyres of the period, that is to say almost solid rubber, so no real need to bulge the tyres on this one. The lumps and bumps where taken care of by the four wheel independent suspension!!

As for the Bronze green, I am still fishing that up. I would say it would be safe to go for the standard military issue for vehicles for that era. The one at bovington is a lot lighter than the stag hound next to it, so it might not of been Bronze Green, more Olive drab...?

Looks a nice kit and will look great in the Diorama......ops said the D word again!!

Ian M

F

Ferrets Bueller

Yep ive built one of these as captured german vehice its a fiddly little kit and a right pain to get everything lined up, but its a good kit and look swee onnce painted and weathered

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I was thinking about getting this kit sometime Graham, looks a very nice kit.

Have fun, John

F

Fenlander

Not much progress tonight, lots of stuff, just doesn't get very far lol. The axels and steering takes over 30 parts!!! At least 20 minutes searching on the carpet for tiny bits that I kept dropping, managed to get away with it so far and found them all. You can get the front wheels steerable but I have cemented them for strength.

You can see from the dry fit pics just how complex a shape this kit is. All credit to the mould makers at MiniArt for creating the detail in this, very clever.

F

Fenlander

Bit of painting done, it looks a bit stark now but it will blend with filters. The shape of this vehicle and the open interior means that the inside has to be painted up before it can be put together for mounting on the chassis. It will then be a case of blocking off the interior to allow the spraying of the exterior.

Really slow getting this 'cab' finished before I can progress but when I get all the sides on, it will move on at a better pace.

S

Sky Raider

Totaly stunning Graham, nothing less and this will only get better as the build progresses, hard to believe.

Love it mate!!!!

Andy

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely interior Graham, I particularly like the detail on the radio set.

S

sprayman

Masterpiece, looking the muts nuts Graham, a very complex build by the look of it, but dont you just love the detail......full marks as always Graham...:xyxthumbs: