Graham's Normandy build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice idea Graham. I have often though of doing the Citroen as a nice rusty barn find. Now I can see how it should be done!

Nice job on the seat, should look great when painted up!

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Right, got the car all built up and primed in my favourite Alclad Matt Black ready for painting and weathering.

The build quality of this kit is amazing, I have never known bits go together so well as on this one. Only big downer is that you can see through the wheel arches from inside past the back seat. Not good but not too difficult to correct. I doubt Tamiya had much choice on this as the body is in one piece and may have been impossible to fit on in such a way that the gap is filled. I still think they could have done some pieces to fit up under the wheel arches to fill it though.

I have left the body unglued as there will be quite a bit of work getting the interior right and the glass will be fitted last. The windscreen will have gone as it is the front and right that will be burned. May do some smoke damage to other windows, not sure yet.

Again, the frame for the front right seat looks OK I suppose and note the slightly modified front right tyre that has been prepared for being partially burnt. Getting to the interesting bit now lol, hope it works out OK.

S

sprayman

This is looking the business Graham....nice touch with the seat and tyre, look forward to what you do with her.

D

dm73

Evening Graham nice build, its good to see a civilian subject. Just an observation, i worked at a scrapyard for a few years and we had plenty of burnt out motors and the tyres when burnt always produced a mass of tangled steel reinforcing. I don't know if you wanted to show it burnt or just flat but i thought i'd chip in with my 2p's worth before you got too far with the painting.

Cheers

F

Fenlander

Cheers Darren, sadly although a civilian car, it is a German used staff car that is being depicted. I have a few pics showing the wire and I am still working out a way of depicting them. As yo can see, the fire didn't last that long and has only burned out the top of the tyre and the paint from the bonnet and front wings which will have rusted but left the rest of the car much as it was. This car will be 'discovered, by the Dingo which is pushing forward in recon to make up the little diorama. I may be pushing it a bit to get this looking right but I will have fun trying

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Graham, like Darren if I can add my thoughts before you progress too far and this has been gnawing at me since you posted the pictures.

To strip the seat of it's stuffing and covering, the fire would have been pretty intense, if short lived, so you can be darned sure it would have set alight the other front seat, the rear seat and the door lining. Perhaps to a slightly lesser degree mind.

I realise there is always a bit of licence with 'damage' and it is in the eyes of the person doing the model, but I do think there would be more proper burnt bits than just the one seat.

Just a polite observation, nothing more...

Cheers,

Ron

F

Fenlander

You know Ron, you are right again. You see, I don't have the eye for detail like you guys do. To make matters worse, the only Wehrmacht decals that come with it and I have put on, I now realise are Eastern Front so eliminate it from Normandy anyway. With such inaccuracies I have abandoned the idea and seeing as the chopped up wheel is irreparable, the project.

Thanks for the heads up and info.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hang on Graham, that's all a bit hasty. lol

Saying you don't have an eye for detail is, if you pardon the expression...A load of tosh!

Why abandon a perfectly good building project just because it's not got the Normandy decals on it? What is wrong with doing a small Eastern Front diorama? It will still make up into a great model, whatever theatre it is in..

Both Darren's and my observations where given as helpful 'add ons' to your already excellent fire damage. Surely all is required is a little more work on the other seats to replicate some melting of the fabric ect. (If you really want to)

The wheel is supposed to be knackered, isn't it? lol

Don't stop now or I will feel somehow partly responsible for apparently putting a downer on your enthusiasm for the build. That was never my intention.

Ron

D

dm73

Graham, i'm with Ron, sorry didn't mean to put dampers on the build. Looking at your other builds and the amount of detail you put in them i just wanted to mention the tyre so the car was finished to your usual high standards. I know you wanted to show a staff car but could it not be a damaged civilian car loaded with belongings from a fleeing french family or where these only used by the German military?

F

Fenlander

Ron, Darren. Your comments have not been taken the wrong way and my decision is not based on them. The seat that was burned was always intended to have some remaining padding and cover and the one next to it would have been 'distressed' lol. As in this quote from post 37 above "This will have scraps of fabric burned on and the other seat will be weathered to make it look scorched."

As I said in my reply to you post about the wire in the tyres Darren, this was also being done, I was just working out a way to do it. In fact this has already been covered but I am not sure it looks right.

To be honest, I didn't think it through far enough and trying to do a technique I have never done as part of a multi model diorama was just pushing it too far. I need to stick with what I know.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The French Resistance also used these cars, just paint it black. Shut the door, smoke out the windows, a couple of bullet holes and Robert is your sisters brother.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Graham

I've just caught up with this thread.

Personally I wouldn't abandon the project. If nothing else you could use it as a test bed to try techniques, and it's surprising what you can do even with a part built kit in terms of more conversion and distressing. I don't think this is a lost cause at all - persevere, I think you may surprise yourself.

I for one am hoping to see more of this burnt out car.

All the best

Paul

B

Bunkerbarge

I agree and think you should use the project to try out all those techniques that you wouldn't want to try out on your favourite build. Practise weathering ideas and see how they come out and you may even find that you are faed with a model that you quite like. It also allows you to be creative and get your imagination going. i.e. if the fire has blistered the paint where the insignia should be then whose to know where the car was supposed to be based. Those type of ideas anyway.

F

Fenlander

To be honest guys, I have moved on from this one. The Citroen is in the spares box and as the body is not glued up, it may go in for stripping and used for something else at sometime but not as is. Cheers for the ideas though.