Green Putty

M

MrGotty

Hey all I am not sure if this is the place to post it, but I was wondering if you could help me, I have recently bought some Green Putty and have read that it is quite dangerous, I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on using it, and using it safely?

Thanks

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Don't eat it, snort it or rub it in your eyes and you should be fine. :smiling3:

I would say that like most other modelling stuff, paints, thinners, glue etc they all carry a health warning but I think as long as you use them in a ventilated room and use them with care you shouldn't have any problems

M

MrGotty

okay thanks, what about applying it? use gloves or something else?

S

sprayman

Squadie Green is a good all round filler....hums a bit, but Im old school and still thin it down to a paste with cellulose thinners.

Its a damn good filler, and dries rock hard, as John said just treat it like any other modeling product.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bit over the top. The object of the exercise is to get it on the model and not on your hands... Should you get it on your fingers the thing that you should really look out for is smudging it around the rest of the kit. The good news is that it does dry very quick on your fingers.

Just wash your hands with warm water and soap and you will be fine.

Ian M

First Name
Drew
I wear gloves when using filler, especially green filler, don't know if it would stain the fingers but don't want to risk it. As has been said, it's safe to use, just make sure no kids or pets can get to it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's the solvents used in putties that are potentially harmful. The "potentially" is an important qualification in that sentence. Tolouene is commonly used though I can't speak for the Squadron products. In a model building context your exposure will me very small and common sense precautions as suggested by John et alter will suffice.

It's probably best to keep skin contact to a minimum but don't fret about it. I apply putty with everything from cotton buds to cocktail sticks and usually get some on a finger or thumb! Clean up with a bit of nail varnish remover and then wash your hands.

I speak as an ex-chemist so I am familiar with many of these chemicals.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MrGotty

thanks guys, thats put my mind at rest :smiling3: big thanks

scott

First Name
Drew
\ said:
Squadie Green is a good all round filler....hums a bit, but Im old school and still thin it down to a paste with cellulose thinners.Its a damn good filler, and dries rock hard, as John said just treat it like any other modeling product.
What kind of container do you keep it in, I find my tubes dry out pretty quickly so maybe thinning it would be the answer. What thinners do you use?

(I know you said cellulose but being totally honest, I have no idea what that is, where I could find it or what brand names there are)

S

sprayman

I only thin the putty when I need to use it....I keep my tubes in a grip seal bag and then keep them in an airtight box....like a plastic lunchbox or similar, and so far never had the tubes dry out.

I have cellulose thinners at my work place, but you can get little bottles of cellulose thinners like this from Wilkinsons.

Wilko Cellulose Thinners 125ml | Brush Cleaners | | Preparation from Wilkinson Plus

I have worked with Cellulose thinners most of my working life, but please use caution with this stuff, the vapours can strip your lungs quicker than you may think, use in a well ventilated area....and dont use it for prolonged periods of time....One of the early signs of over exposure is believe it or not is an itchy sniffy nose.

Ray

Last edited: