Group build (1st try dio)

C

colprit

Hi everyone, I am hoping to do a diorama of a tiger1 being attacked by a Soviet su-100 tank destroyer hiding in some trees and bushes. The tiger is a Pz.Kpfw V1 Tiger 1ausf.E 'last model' with zimmerit coating and photo etched parts 1/72 scale by Hasegawa.The other tank is made by dragon also with some photo etched parts 1/72, So I am quite happy with them but a bit nervious about doing the dio as don't really know what I'm doing, as this is a new area of modelling to me so watch out for loads of question and advice, please

One question can I use some 1/72 german soldiers I painted but never used or is that against the rules, as these are lying around waiting for some sort of use.

Here are the photos of the kits in thier boxes. Will post some more as I progress.

View attachment 18027View attachment 18028

View attachment 25795

View attachment 25796

PIC_0001.jpg

PIC_0002.jpg

B

bikerbart

Very nice looking kits, best of luck with the build, looking forward to watching this one develop, regards Martin :smiling:

F

Fenlander

You can use the figures Colin, we are not running a competition, the rules are really just there to wind people up at the start of a new GB lol. Ask away and I am sure answers will be forthcoming. I know I am really nervous about the dio part, I have only ever done grassy scenic bases before, getting a real looking ground is stumping me at the moment but I will get going soon and hope inspiration flows freely.

C

colprit

Cheers Graham, I thought it was a wind up but I just thought I'd check it out. As for the dio at least you've done something I haven't, the most I've done so far is cut a piece of mdf board and put PVA all over it. I have drawn so sketches up and I think I'm going to try to show a tiger coming up a country track with some troops behind and the rusian tank destroyer hiding in some bushes ready to kill it. Somewhere on the eastern front. Just hope I'm able to do it justice.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
You can use the figures Colin, we are not running a competition
Good answer Graham!

Good luck with the dio Colin,it sounds like a great idea.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Best of luck with your first diorama Colin.

It sounds an interesting subject and also you have a nice couple of kits there.

I'm sure you will do just fine. The best advise I can give from the onset is take your time, get a basic idea down on your base, keep it simple, don't get too ambitious, yet! lol

Then play around with your models.

Ideas will start to flow...a bridge, perhaps a wall or two. You will be surprised what will come into your head as the build proceeds. It always does with me!

But most important of all, as our friend John always ends up saying in his posts.....Have fun.

:cheers:

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice to have you on board the GB Colin. Nothing I can say really that hasn't been said above, I'll only add that if you need any help at all I (and I'm sure a great many others) would be happy too happy to.

All the best

Paul

C

colprit

Ron mate if I get any where near you in making this dio I will be well pleased. Thanks everyone

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the compliment Colin. Very kind of you.

Remember though, there will always be people better and not so good as you in lots of things, so as long as you are well happy with what you accomplish that is all that matters...

As Paul rightly points out, everyone is on here to help everyone else, that's what makes this Forum a great thing to be a part of. So any questions? Fire away and an answer will follow tute sweet from someone on these pages.

But thanks anyway!

Ron

C

colprit

Well I've started the dio, don't really know what i'm doing but hope it will turn out OK. Ron you were right about the bridge or something I now got a river and a bridge. will post some photos soon still waiting for glue to dry (paper mache what a mess ).

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Colin

Nice progress on the tank destroyer looks a good kit. Looking forward to the dio pics.

All the best Colin

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Colin

That's a great start to the dio. Is that kitchen scourer for the foliage? If it is I'm using a similar stuff on my forest dio.

You may want to try 'dry-brushing' different shades on to the different coloured surfaces, different browns on the earth sections, different greys and even white highlights on the rocks. You may be adding scatter too and all this will add up to a great looking dio.

All the best Colin the ground work is tops:cool2:

Paul

C

colprit

cheers Paul, yes it is scourer stuck to wire and modelling clay wrapped round to form the trunk. What are you using then? Still a way to go on mine yet but finding it fun to do and learning new things all the time.

C

colprit

Diorama Update2

Hi All,here is the progress so farof my first diorama. Please feel free to give any advice or tips as I am still learning things about this side of the hobby. Thanks Rom for your advice I am now looking at my garden in a different light and picking all sorts of items up to use somehow.

Any here are the photos hope you like them, still got some more to do but here goes. I will take the infantry figures off thier bases when I finish it I think.

View attachment 26204

View attachment 26205

View attachment 26206

View attachment 26207

View attachment 26208

View attachment 26209

View attachment 26210

View attachment 26211

View attachment 26212

View attachment 26213

PIC_0005-1.jpg

PIC_0004-1.jpg

PIC_0007-1.jpg

PIC_0007.jpg

PIC_0002-1.JPG

PIC_0005.jpg

PIC_0001-1.jpg

PIC_0001.jpg

PIC_0002.jpg

PIC_0004.jpg

F

Fenlander

Coming on nicely Colin. I still have to start mine so I am interested in how yours is gradually coming to life. I agree about the figures, the bases would spoil the finished item.