Grumman OV-1A Mohawk, Roden 1/48 scale

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
As mentioned before I liked the weird FAC planes that came out from the Vietnam conflict including the helicopters. I have built the O-2 Skymaster just featured in the completed build section, the Huey and the UH-34. The rest in my stash are the OV-10 Bronco, Sikorsky CH-54A Skycrane and Husky but the one that is beckoning me to build is the OV-1A Mohawk.

VT1.jpg

I'll take pictures of the sprues later when I'm ready to tackle it.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Richard,
I'll be watching, with interest! I think all the reviews I've read stress the difficulty of getting enough weight in the nose, to prevent tail sitting
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, thanks for accompanying this build. Yes there isn't much room for weights. I'll have to find every nook and cranny to fill with weights. This may need to be tied down to a base. We'll see.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks like an interesting subject. Good luck Richard.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Weird looking plane. The box art is rather odd too. I shall watch with interest.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Always liked the look of that plane — funny what you get when you don’t let air force types interfere with your plane :smiling3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Welcome aboard Tim, Jim, Jakko and Scottie,

The profile shape reminds me of a dragon fly with the bug eyed look of the cockpit. It must have been influenced by the Intruder which was a Grumman design as well. Tandem side by side seats available for the first row.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Richard,
you may be interested in this - it's a later model, with the side looking radar, but there are some good close up shots. What is surprising is that it is a lot smaller than I thought!
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Squash up fella's, make room for a (used to be ) little 'un..
So, who's brought the snacks then ?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yes Dave, this is the version I am more familiar with. The long radar pod is what I wanted but could only get the early version. Thanks for the vid.

Chris, you'll see I'm practicing social distancing with the spaced out seats and not that you've grown...remember to take your temp at the door and sign in. You won't be getting any elbows in the rib...Matron will hand out snacks pre-packed and disinfected making it taste a bit weird.:smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry to keep you guys hanging...I promised some sprue shots. Here they are...

M2.jpg

The surface detail is just about right for me and parts count not too much. It comes with a full weapons load and canopy is clear. I like the fact that the propellers are separate from the hub.

M3.jpg

I have decided where to pack in the lead marked in red besides the nose cone to keep the nose down. I'm even going to fill the consoles and under the seats if required.

M4.jpg

Cheers,
Richard