Hairspray chipping?

First Name
Adrian
Has anyone used this technique and how reliable is it?

I read a lot about it and watched a few videos about it but was wondering if anyone on this forum uses it or could suggest a better alternative?

Adrian

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
This was my very 1st attempt probably overdone a tad but found that it does work but is hard to control how much off the topcoat you want to take of leading edges etc because if you are not very careful large areas of paint comes away I feel that dry brushing offers more control and the end result is much the same View attachment 87012

View attachment 87013

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have used it to good effect. I found that as long as you wet the paint with plenty of water it prevents the paint flaking when you least want it to.

Ian M

D

dubster72

I've tried it Adrian & it's a good technique, but one that requires lots of practice. I wouldn't do it with Vallejo paints, they're too 'plasticy', by which I mean they come off in overly large sections. Tamiya paint is much better.

But a better method by far is sponge chipping for large areas & a 00 brush for detailed areas.

P

Polux

I ever use this technique on my models :P

Actually I always use the AK product, is very effective and easy to apply.

Anyway, the people never talk about the next step.... O_o

Now I talking for my own experience....

The best colour paints for a chipping effects are the Vallejo ones. I suppose the quality is minor than the Mr Hobby or Tamiya colours. For example, with those last both I have always problems :confused:

The Mr Hobby dries so fast and the Tamiya leave a not much "detailed and subtle result".

But just remember is my opinion :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Each to their own Polux! I only use the hairspray for worn-away whitewashes, like on Russian armour.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
havnt used it for chipping, tried it once for a winter camo wash on a Panzer

didnt find it as easy as the videos seem to make it look........i want to do some chipping soon and plan on trying the latex way of doing it

First Name
Adrian
I found an actual build video of a Viper and its a tutorial on chipping as well, he uses salt as well so will try that. If the worst happens I can just strip it back :smiling3:

Adrian

M

m1ks

I've tried it and found it time consuming and fiddly to control, I think I may have let the topcoat dry too long, (tamiya), but I much prefer the salt method, far quicker and easier and very pleasing results, you can also build up layers and salt alternately and aren't restricted to an acrylic topcoat, the irregular pattern of the salt grains makes a great natural wear pattern also.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi Adrian I used the salt and hairspray techniques on the cab of the train in my steam graveyard dio and I have to say it was incredibly easy and I really liked the effect.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive learnt all sorts of things watching jons videos

First Name
Adrian
I really like his Maskol way, that seems to be the best way for rust, but how would it look on a model that had a metallic undercoat?

Adrian

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Like the micro chip technique, seems to give more control, will have to try it. I seem to lack proper chipping, though don't like it when its overdone.

First Name
Michaël

Hi Adrian,like Dubster say is correct!

photo below is without hairspray (only sponge with alot of different of colours)

View attachment 122945

This one is with first layer tamiya Red hull - AK worn effect - tamiya sand Yellow - Sponge technique with colours like Blue-red-brown-green!

View attachment 122946

And this is my last attempt on weathering from Adam wilder in book

AFV modeller May/june 2012 or ART of Modelling nr 22

View attachment 122947

The last one toke me 5 months to finish it...i use also paint oil to create a messy rusty weathering.

I hope it helps you....i read alot of books (google it "free pdf magazines" look for modelling)

797.JPG

417.JPG

DSC02558.JPG