Hairspray Method fr Chipping

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve

Hairspray is simply a water soluble sealer. In this case anything painted on top if it will tend to wash away if the hairspray undercoat gets wet. Having said that acrylic paint is water soluble UNTIL it sets completely. In this case if your acrylic undercoat is completely cured an overspray of hairspray and a subsequent acrylic layer should not damage the base coat. That said all it would not hurt to give your base coat a quick spray of a mat varnish to ensure that it is protected against the next layers.

As far as protecting the finished job I would simply allow the top coat of paint to dry a little, say an hour for acrylics, then chip away as required followed by a protective coat of varnish the next day.

John

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,
As John said. And yes you can do multiple layers . just paint the layers you want to chip through as you would for one layer.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Yes to everything. I tried this for the first time on my 1:32 Corsair build and loved the effect. A trick I want to use again.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve.
Chipping Fluid, have you no shame !:cool::cool::cool::smiling:

John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Your a top man John. That put's my mind at rest. Many thanks. Have you had your first snow of the season yet??

Thanks guys for the confirmation and glad to hear you have had good success's with it. I looked at chipping fluid Mr Race but thought it was just hairspray in bottle:smiling5:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your a top man John. That put's my mind at rest. Many thanks. Have you had your first snow of the season yet??

Thanks guys for the confirmation and glad to hear you have had good success's with it. I looked at chipping fluid Mr Race but thought it was just hairspray in bottle:smiling5:
Steve .
I did try it once, seemed to take a long time . Think the spray I used was either old or rubbish , as it did seem to take forever. While the bottled version of chipping fluid was fast and very effective. And I'm supposed to be. " Old " school or just Old ! :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
Yours
J Nerdworthy

Snow !!!! What , who said anything about snow. I shall write this instance to the Times .

Last edited:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve

I guess you're referring to my small corner of the world with regards to snow. And yes we have had our first although very minor and was what I refer to as a British Rail Killer, but nothing by our standards.

John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve .
I did try it once, seemed to take a long time . Think the spray I used was either old or rubbish , as it did seem to take forever. While the bottled version of chipping fluid was fast and very effective. And I'm supposed to be. " Old " school or just Old ! :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
Yours
J Nerdworthy
Steve

I guess you're referring to my small corner of the world with regards to snow. And yes we have had our first although very minor and was what I refer to as a British Rail Killer, but nothing by our standards.

John
Hi John.
I see Steve meant you in the wilds of the north !
We have had a weather warning saying it might snow in November, properly 5mm ! As you rightly say British Rail Killer .
John.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I am a convert to AK chipping fluid - seems much more predictable than hairspray

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
I am still a naive apprentice bodger. It will take time for me to heed such wise words and reach your dizzy heights of expertise:smiling5::smiling3::smiling2::smiling:

Also its cheaper to nick the Mrs's hairspray than buy a pot of it:tongue-out3:

First Name
Wouter
Hi Steve, you can do it safely on an undercoat of Vallejo's but a word of coation. I've read well known modellers who say that Vallejo ones aren't the best for chipping. The contrary even, it's apparantly harder to control and larger paint flakes than intended can come lose messing the whole work up. Generally (and this I know from experience) Tammiya ones are much better suited for this work, probably others as well but the Vallejo's I wouldn't use if I were you. Just my two cents ^^

Cheers

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve.
That's a shame, as the result was looking promising. Can you tell me why you want to try this method.
Esp when the AK fluid is so much more precise in its results.

John.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
I am doing a camo pattern and want to chip the hard edge back to the base colour as per the example I did

First Name
Wouter
I'd say try to change the paints if you can mate. Just to show you a result of hairspray and Tamiya paint combo. Chipping is very easy and you can control it very well.
Jagdpanzer IV 70A (14).jpgJagdpanzer IV 70A (16).jpgJagdpanzer IV 70A (17).jpgJagdpanzer IV 70A (18).jpg
As you see you can go for areas of heavy chipping and areas with less chipping.

I don't think you did anything wrong by the way. However you don't even need the paint to be chipped dry for an hour. I usually start immediately after airbrushing. I use lukewarm water because that seems to work best. Keep the paint layers to be chipped well thin in the areas where you want to chip. The thicker the paint layer the harder it is.
Strange that the primer coat went off in areas though.

As you might notice on my examples is that the chipped paint areas are more subtle or smaller. That's because of thepaint used. The Vallejo chipped paint is a bit more crude. Now that's not criticism but it's because of the nature of those paints. They form short of a 'shell' on top of the model and this means you can less control the chipping process.

T-62 (40).jpg
On my T-62 I used the same process, with different layers of paint and hairspray on top of each other.

Let me know if you want to know something more (oh btw, I just checked my Tank Art books again and Michael Rinaldi mentions that you get great results with Lifecolor paints as well if you want to stick to the less toxic range of paints).

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Last edited:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Hi Everyone

I am going to embark on my first attempt at the hairspray method for chipping in due course. I have read all the articles and watched all the videos and now I am totally confused:smiling5:(Not difficult I know)

I just need some clarity on a couple of points.

Firstly will it work on an acrylic base coat of Vallejo?
Will it work using Vallejo acrylic as the second colour which is then scrubbed off with the water?
At what point after the process has been done is it safe to cover the model in varnish and seal it all in?
At any point can I repeat the process with another layer of hairspray, a different colour of acrylic to be scrubbed off?

Many thanks in advance for the answers
Yes to everything just DO NOT put a heavy coat of hair spray... :smiling: