Handley-Page Jetstream

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys and gals,

After a day off from building, I looked thru my stacks of models and found a U.S.A.F. Liason/Trainer that was manufactured in the U.K. for the United States Air Force.

Its the handley-Page "JETSTREAM" twin turboprop....this model, by airfix is in 1:72 scale, has tons of "itty bitty" parts but once completed looks really nice.

I purchased this kit on ebay about 2 months ago and when I got it, I noticed right away that the decals were yellowed and more than likely brittle. So, I placed them in my "spare decal" box and "bashed" a replacement set together using left over decals from an F-86D "Sabre-Dog", A "U2 spyplane" and "stars and bars" from a CH-53 "SeaStallion".

This kit, despite all the parts, took about 2 1/2 hrs to complete, alot of thime being spent on sifting through decals and masking off the model for painting.

This is an older kit, but if you can find it, buy it, its well worth the money you will spend.

Anyway, here she is on the hood of my truck (right after a thunderstorm, so I still didnt have to wax the truck for a reflective shine lol) :

History

The Jetstream was originally developed by Handley Page beginning in 1966. The prototype first flew in 1967.

By the end of 1969 cost overruns had driven this venerable aviation company to voluntary liquidation. Jetstream production rights eventually went to Scottish Aviation which became part of British Aerospace (BAe) in 1978.

Under BAe the Jetstream flourished with the introduction of the 19-seat Jetstream 31 in 1982. A 29-seat Jetstream 41 was introduced in 1991. Jetstreams 51 and 71 were announced but slipping sales led to the end of Jetstream production in 1997.

Have a good day,

Greg

R

rjwood_uk

very nice greg. i do like the jetstream and you have done a really nice job on this one. a nice choice for your model today i think!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy RJ,

Thanks for the kind words. The Jetstream has always been a favorite of mine too, although i wasnt really sure what it was called until i bought this model.

As i am sure you have figured out by now, I lean towards "oddball" or unusual aircraft. While everyone else is building fighters and bombers, i am just as happy to build liason aircraft, trainers, rescue aircraft, "X-planes" ect.

Civillian aircraft are another favorite of mine and with liason aircraft and some trainers, you get the best of both worlds so I really enjoy those.

For tomorrow, I am torn between several models that I know are quick builds, the first being the aero jet commander, which i would do as another liason aircraft, a racing version of the P-51 mustang done in "Rockwell international" markings on Bright yellow paint job, or a Cessna "corsair" by gremlin models which....again would make a nice Liason aircraft (photo of model from their website).

C441%20blue2.jpg

Or......I might just do something totally different lol. Its not like i have limited choices, heck i could build a model a day and not finish this year.

I still have a model of a piper pawnee crop duster i have to build also.....decisions, decisions :thinking: lol.

Have a good day,

Greg

B

Bunkerbarge

Nice model Greg. I particularly have a soft spot for old Airfix kits. They all remind me of my youth when I knew the Airfix range inside out. In those days I made a kit every Saturday, purchased with my pocket money, when a series one kit was still 2/6. That's pronounced 2 and 6, equivilent now to 12 1/2 pence or about 25 cents!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just built the old Airfix Jetstream kit again myself,mine has been converted into a Royal Navy navigational trainer with different engines and nose radome.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Barry,

I would love to see your verskion of the Jetstream, is there a photo online yet? If not, feel free to start a thread or post it here in this thread.

I have been buying old airfix kits lately on ebay, my newest aquisition is the "Short Skyvan", sadly though, it came with no instructions and I am trying to decide to just "wing it" or try to find some instructions for it online.

Being a 1:72 scale model, I dont see any trouble in building it "sans instructions", but, I do have the link to a guy who offers old airfix instructions to those who need them via mail. I have posted the link before in one of my threads, i will just have to find it.

Anyway, like I said, i would love to see your version of the jetstream.

Have a good day and thanks for the kind words,

Greg