Hasegawa 1/32 P47D Republic Thunderbolt

B

BigZimmo

Very interesting building report Vaughan. Will follow him interested. Good luck continues.:xyxthumbs:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks Stefan,

This afternoon I bit the bullet and masked off the invasion stripes and got down to spraying the aluminium. This a new bottle so things should be ok. It sprayed on ok but I don't seem to be able to achieve a really shiny reflective surface, yet when I spray smaller objects like drop tanks tail wheel bay doors I can geta good lustre. Oh well the paints down and the masking is off. The engine, undercarriage and flaps are a dry fit but it gives you an idea what she looks like. Now I've got to allow the aluminium to go off before I start to decal her up, the quandary is do I put a coat of Klear on first which will dull the finish or risk not using it at all. But on the other hand I will need to seal it somehow so that I can apply a wash to enhance the panel lines. Any suggestions?

View attachment 61250

View attachment 61251

View attachment 61252

View attachment 61253

View attachment 61254

View attachment 61255

130603_1427.jpg

130603_1428.jpg

130603_1431.jpg

130603_1432.jpg

130603_1434.jpg

130603_1436.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking real nice now vaughan , on the question of the Klear , what about trying the new Alclad clear varnish? Maybe that wont dull it down so much? cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Nice recovery on the NMF Vaughan! I use a Urethane clear over my NMF ,have also used testors KlearKote with some success. Looking forward to the next update

Last edited:
B

Buttonman

Hi Vaughan

You gotta polish it bro she shinier the base coat th!e shiny the alclad and clear doesn't bother it

I watched a demo on youtube they used clear on top of the under coat then prayed a lot of clear. When dry polished it right up then put the alclad over nice and slow misting them when that's dry it should be shiny you can buff it up with a micro cloth then clear again for your decals and weathering

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's one crazy post Martin but I get what you mean. I'm using Vallejo paints so I don't think that it would work for me, thanks for the idea anyway.

I did find some photos of a P47D that shows the aluminium can be quite dull so I shouldn't be too hard on myself regarding the finish. I finished off the canopy this morning having masked and spraying it last night followed by some Klear and a wash to enhance the rivet detail. Anyway lots still to do, will post some more progress soon.

View attachment 61299

View attachment 61300

View attachment 61301

View attachment 61302

View attachment 61303

130703_1439.jpg

130703_1440.jpg

jug1.jpg

jug2.jpg

jug3.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think you've answered your own question regarding the dullness of an aluminium finish on service aircraft.

It's almost impossible,in a B+W photograph,to tell whether the underside of an aircraft is natural metal or neutral grey. There's a clue there :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

I really think that too many silover aircraft look far too shiny so yours to me is perfect. The washes around the nose are spot on and that canopy frame looks superb. When you compare that with the rivet detailing on the real aircraft you can see how close you are with it.

Fantastic job looking really good.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for that Richard I think your right if they're too shiny they can end up looking like a toy. Hasegawa's canopies do tend to be quite accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
This is turning into a seriously good build Vaughan.As for the natural metal finish,aluminium oxidises when left unpainted.So even if it was polished it wouldn't stay shiny for long.Yours looks right to me.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Progress has been going on in the back ground over the last few days, unfortunately no photos to show my progress. So here's where I'm up to. Decals are all down, some needing needing quite a lot of Decalsoft. The real tricky ones were around the intercooler vents which is where the Stars and Bars are situated. All the decals have been sealed and a wash has been applied to enhance the panel lines. Wing tip navigation lights are fitted with Clearfix. Blast tubes(which required drilling the barrels out) and pitot tube have also been fitted. All that remains is the gunsight and aerial wire. I have added my own fuselage ceramic insulator point as it is just a flat circle. Photos will follow of the finished Jug in the Aircraft Pictures Section. Thanks to everyone( too many names to mention) who have followed this Thread and given me help, encouragement and info along the way.

Last edited by a moderator: