Hasegawa Sopwith Camel.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just in case anyone is wondering what the Hasegawa Sopwith Camel looks like in 1=8th scale them here is a picture of one ? they did the S.E.5A in this same series,only a few hundred were made of each kit so they are like hens teeth to get hold of,but you never know there just could be a few left unbuilt in a drawer somewhere.

N

Nigel.D

I hate to admit this but in my loft i have a Camel and a DR1 i paid £115.00 each for them back in 1889 I really do mean to get round to building them along with the 379 other kits up there

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Nigel,you really do have two rare kits there,the picture shown was taken at a very early IPMS meeting,this is the only time that I have ever seen the Camel,once an SE5A appeared in a local auction and went very cheaply,I regret not buying it.

Never mind when you retire you can concentrate on building your large collection.

I hate to admit this but in my loft i have a Camel and a DR1 i paid £115.00 each for them back in 1889 I really do mean to get round to building them along with the 379 other kits up there

N

Nigel.D

Its quite strange but untill your article i almost forgot about them the dr1 is in a red box (of course) and the camel a green one both only opened once to have a gander

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** That is interesting Adz,they must have re-issued this one,price works out at 69,800 yen which is £342.358 as against £399.00 of the Hachette lookalike,and a lot better quality as well,thanks for pointing this out.

Dr.1 is still available if you look about, though the price isn`t so good :smiling3: http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGZX3

N

No.6

I would love to build one of those.

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Would you please try again with the photograph No.6,we would like to see his example of the Sopwith Camel,thank you.

I would love to build one of those.

J

JohnM

I am about to restart the building of Hasegawa Sopwith Camel. Fusalage mostly complete and am starting on wings. Started the project about 10 years ago and had to temporarily halt for a short time!!! Has anyone any suggestions as to how to 'age' the timeber to give it its old varnished look. Also, any ideas about covering, prefereably one side only. What glue do you suggest? All tips gratefully received.

JohnM

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Blackfriers do a first class range of stains,check them out at your hardware shop,Aliphaetic resin adhesive is best as you can sand it down easily,for covering I have seen some excellent results done on these type of models with Solartex.

\ said:
I am about to restart the building of Hasegawa Sopwith Camel. Fusalage mostly complete and am starting on wings. Started the project about 10 years ago and had to temporarily halt for a short time!!! Has anyone any suggestions as to how to 'age' the timeber to give it its old varnished look. Also, any ideas about covering, prefereably one side only. What glue do you suggest? All tips gratefully received.JohnM

M

modelmaker

\ said:
*** Nigel,you really do have two rare kits there,the picture shown was taken at a very early IPMS meeting,this is the only time that I have ever seen the Camel,once an SE5A appeared in a local auction and went very cheaply,I regret not buying it.Never mind when you retire you can concentrate on building your large collection.
I'm building the Camel now as we speak Follow along on the Large Scale Planes - LSP forum .

Its a very nice model but does have alot of inaccuracies about it .

The whole Cockpit Area underneath the Metal cowlings is very inaccurate or a better word simplified all the Engine ancilery Gear is missing etc which really cant be seen once the cowlings are attached , but for those like myself who are detail freaks can scratchbuild the missing parts.

Sean