Have I opened up a can of worms?!

F

Fest

Hi all,

I just wanted to do some research before I started with my 3 f1 cars I want to build. Previous airplane models I have only painted with a brush. Yet I’ve read quite a few posts on here that a lot of people use airbrushes to paint your kits. Is this something I should strongly consider as I have no experience at all with airbrushing nor would have the faintest idea about what to get and how to mix the paint so it could be sprayed?

Any views and/or opinions would be welcome here to help me decide what I should do.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
An airbrush is not a panacea which will solve all painting problems. Some people achieve superb results with a good old hairy stick. However you can achieve effects and finishes with an airbrush which can't be achieved by brushing. There are also some products,like the Alclad metal finishes,which are designed for and can only be used with an airbrush.

If you are going to continue modelling then I would suggest that an airbrush would be a useful investment. The initial cost of a set up is relatively high but the kit should last for years.

There is certainly no need to be apprehensive about your ability to use an airbrush. It is a fairly simple tool to use. Like anything else you will need to practice. You will also need to work out the airbrush and various paint/thinner combinations that work for you. This isn't rocket science and you'll find plenty of helpful and friendly advice here.

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

I'm one of those who uses the hairy stick and have only used a cheap airbrush to spray washes over large areas like buildings etc.

I can see the need for an airbrush when painting cars and aircraft though as its hard to get a blemish free finish. and as Steve says the are effects that an airbrush make far simpler.

B

Boldman

I was in the hairy stick camp for a while until earlier this year when I invested in a mid-priced airbrush and compressor and I must say its was a very valuable investment. Since I got it, there have been a number of modelling projects that would have been very difficult to achieve with a brush - my current Stingray build for example... trying to hand paint that with a brush would have been very difficult. My part-completed Hunter Miss Demeanour (my icon over on the left) would not have been at all possible without the airbrush.

It took a bit of getting used to at first, and I am still learning how best to apply the paint, but I would not give it up now. I use Tamiya paints and they work really well in the airbrush, diluted 50% with Isopropyl alcohol (which I also use to clean the airbrush) which I got as a 5 litre polypin for about a tenner!

T

tecdes

I would say Fest first can you have a look at a model which has been airbrushed & then compare your own efforts. Sure that will focus on if it is worth doing if it is an improvement on your own way of hand brushing. Also as said above it depends on what you are painting.

I have seen models which have been hand painted & was amazed at the finish they got.

There is the cost to consider & probably to buy as good airbrush, compressor, cleaning stuff etc you are talking £200 upwards. You will also need more room than handbrushing. Also if you handbrush in a room in the house you really need a room for airbrushing where a bit of overspill does not matter so much. I use the garage for all of the model making activities & the corner where I airbrush despite an air brushing booth is a bit airbrushed itself. You only need a distraction to pull the trigger & the paint is away.

Would also put in your browser airbrushing & a host of tuition films will come up.

Laurie

T

tecdes

Important thing & forgotten Fest.

With hand brushing I doubt that you had to mask any part of the model.

With air brushing anything which is not the same colour as the one you are airbrushing has to be masked up. Well masked up as if not the paint creeps in to every crack.

Masking up takes time so it is a very different in technique to hand brushing.

Laurie

chameleon 2009

Mike Tipping Models
SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
If you haven’t used an air brush, why not use the spray cans, this is a way of spraying your model with out spending money on something that you may not get on with, I think the cans are £4.99 to £7.99 and are available in most colours, you can spray large areas.

See how it looks and then use the brush for smaller areas, you will get a stunning job with the cans, believe me

Mike

N

noble

A compressor and airbrush is definately a long term investment, however i will fess up and say that i would not be without mine now.... my brush painting skill was never really very good at all, but i do like my air brush and compressor very much.Personally i think it is worth the money, if you do consider getting one then everythingairbrush on line will help you with all your needs.

scott