Heading in yet another new direction!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Put a Porsche engine in there, that will give it some oompf!
My first was an original Mini Cooper, complete with roll cage, wide Dunlop tyres and twin carbs.... on the way back to barracks in Chelsea got to the the A1 roundabout at Catterick, engine finished up in the little guard hut, and I finished up in the ditch, upside down... Never bought a Dunlop tyre since.
Best oldy '72 was a Morris Minor van, seats came from a Humber Snipe, Jaguar rear suspension, Wolfrace 10 inch rears and 8 inch fronts on Morris Marina front suspension, Ford V6, and vynil sunroof cut down from an unknown car. All the interior was customized including remooving the centre speedo and replacing it with other instruments. Used to take me from Munster to the UK at least once a month. Eventually sold on to another squaddie when I went further abroad.
Trust me Mike, a flat six was considered!!!!

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thats quite a load considering how many horses they had in comparison to todays motors!
I remember talking to a motorway copper way back, we were talking about Beetles and speeds and he said he rarely pulled over a Beetle for speeding as it was common knowledge they didn't go fast. That was about an hour after I had hoofed it down the M6 well over the national speed limit. (That was only with a 1300 engine), Won't go into the 1600 I ended up with!!!!;):flushed:
Steve, did your Beetles rear window mist up for a pass time?
It was a 6 volt system and the heater had no fan at all, so the car only got a bit warm in the winter when on a long/fast(ish)! run. The rear window was always misted up as we had a border collie who used to sit behind the rear seats, dribbling and moaning! ( Naturally 'Tweed" never made the foreign trips! ) Also the windscreen wash was pressured from the air in the spare tyre ........ :flushed:

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
It was a 6 volt system and the heater had no fan at all, so the car only got a bit warm in the winter when on a long/fast(ish)! run. The rear window was always misted up as we had a border collie who used to sit behind the rear seats, dribbling and moaning! ( Naturally 'Tweed" never made the foreign trips! ) Also the windscreen wash was pressured from the air in the spare tyre ........ :flushed:
I spent tome time on the heating!! As I said, I stripped out the old rusting metal heating channels, no point in them as no warmth reached the front. After I refitted the GRP channels, connected the ducting for the front and footwell vents it was hunky dory. Needed to living in Scotland at the time. Next was the rear window, The heating element was rubbish and I wasn't going to tinker with that. SO!! I used some clear fuel pipe, initially I punched holes in it to allow air to pass through and onto the rear window, (inside). Didn't work, next I drilled the holes into the fuel pipe, success!! Then the fuel pipe was glued under the window so the air which was tapped from the heater channel blew over the window!! Huzzah!! No more misting.

I must say, the tapping air from the spare tyre to pressurise the windscreen wash was devilish cunning.

Next mod was a front air dam as motorway driving with a fuel tank nearing empty was fraught with danger!! The front became light and was susceptible to getting blown around by overtaking lorries!!! The air dam was very good, but steering was improved more when I aded some 50 pound of lead shot under the spare wheels in the nose!!! Stable as heck then.

Recall many go-fast 1835s in bugs & buggies from my CA days.
Paul, is the 1835 referring to engine size? If so I would have loved to have a beast that big sat behind me!!! (Eyes narrow and little horns pop up):cool:;). The UK somehow isn't the place for bugs, but I know a few who had them, driven dry summer days only!!!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yes Doug, big jugs to take it to 1835ccs, plus a lot of other mods to make the whistlers scream.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
steering was improved more when I aded some 50 pound of lead shot under the spare wheels in the nose!!! Stable as heck then.
Haha I remember Dad saying he heard a bag of cement was the trick!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well I'm ready now for a new arrival!! bench clear!!!IMG_0942.JPG

I've even downloaded a set of instructions which I can use to scribble on. (As I'll be using my own colour scheme).
Have a busy weekend ahead so doubtful I'll be able to start until after the long weekend!!!! :sad: