Heller 1/24 Citroën Fourgon H Van

F

Fenlander

This will be the next one on the bench.  I was going to start it today but other things, including some research on the vehicle got in the way.

As the next vehicle in my little Citroën family, it was a 'Fourgon' conclusion...... d'ya get it? Fourgon.... forgone conclusion?  Ah well, please yourselves......

_20161111_152116.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Got a few of them driving around over here. One is a mobile cafe the other a sandwich bar....

F

Fenlander

Got a few of them driving around over here. One is a mobile cafe the other a sandwich bar....

They do use them as trendy sandwich vans here to Ian but there is one near where I live, I used to see it often when coming home from work but not seen it since I retired.  Not sure where it is but I would love to track it down as it is just a van in original if slightly multi coloured.  I have been looking at what it would take to make it a catering van, fairly simple scratch building but I don't know yet.  I don't want to start a conversion and then give up on it, I would rather do it as OOB and finish it.

Looking forward to this one.

Will you do the fourgonnette as well

That is the Tamiya rebox of the Ebro kit isn't it? I would certainly build it if I get one as I was quite impressed with the Ebro kit Peter.

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You often see these Citroen vans converted into all manner of food vans - cheese, paté and the like. Seems there could be an opportunity to do a bit of a kit bash.

Then again it has all that gallic charm just as it is.

Should be a fun build and, when complete , will make a great partner to your previous build.

Good stuff

Cheers

P

F

Fenlander

Don't give up the day job. Ooops, too late! You're retired and a gentleman of leisure nowadays yes?

"Gentleman of leisure" Ha............ well, ok, I can chose when I have my lunch and afternoon nap I suppose....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You shoulda come to Telford Graham. There are two of these set up as catering vans on the site!

F

Fenlander

I will not be converting it Dave even though I have researched the fittings etc Easy job for someone who wants to though lol

Weekend over and it is time to get this thing on the road.

First off, I am not a fan of clear plastic being used for some of the body parts especially when windows are formed integral within them.  The main windscreen is a separate part but sadly the side windows are not.

IMG_0829.JPG

On the positive side, I do like how Heller make their rubber tyres.  No mould seam and good tread pattern.  There will be a spot where they attach to the rubber sprue but that is easily hidden.

IMG_0828.JPG

To start off, I have built, but not fully glued together, the engine and driv/suspension sub frame.  This is very nicely detailed and looks as close as I can see correct to pictures of the original.  Being front wheel drive means that the rear cargo floor can be low and unobstructed.  It also means for any repair work, this front subframe with engine and wheels on can be taken out relatively easy.  In fact, take this out and the vehicle becomes a tin shed with two wheels at the back.

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

I will not be adding much to the engine as it will not be seen much when completed.  So a quick paint job and this bit is finished.

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Cracked on with the body.  Lots of panels make up the main body but the fit isn't too bad so it appears to be going together OK. The rear frame and roof do not go on for a while yet if you follow the instructions but I have glued the rear frame in and held the roof on so that I can be sure the body is lined up correctly.  Not a lot of locating lugs on this kit where you really need them. Also,  Heller are not that fussed about using the correct, or even close in some cases,  part number on the instructions. All makes for a bit of fun........ All the interior will be sprayed Ivory as will the upper and front exterior with Crimson lower panels on the body tapering off across the lower part of the front doors. Should look nice I think. It definitely is a shed on wheels lol

_20161114_165418.JPG

F

Fenlander

Moving on now and time to mask up the glass that forms windows in clear parts that don't need to be clear.....  I don't like the use of clear parts where it isn't clear as the material is more brittle and makes masking a bit of an issue.

first up, the iconic front of this truck.

DSC_0074.JPG

i just do not understand why parts of this are clear but at least I don't have to worry about fogging it.  Air vents need to be drilled out and a mesh screen added as per next picture.

DSC_0076.JPG

The tiny rear window in the rear door masked off, I am depicting it in its 1957 split windscreen version.  To get a good fit I needed to add a very thin strip of plastic around the top of the rear panel where the roof sits and between the lower double doors as there is a bit of a gap.  Probably is on the real thing but I sorted them out anyway.

DSC_0077.JPG

Then it was into the spray booth and get some Primer on.  At least it has got rid of the clear panels now.

DSC_0079.JPG

You won't see much of the inside but that will all be sprayed Humbrol gloss Ivory enamel.  Then I can unmask the inside of the windows and assemble it prior to external painting which will be Humbrol Ivory an Humbrol Crimson. Underneath will be Humbrol Coal Black enamel which is a good slightly matter than satin finish, perfect for chassis parts 

Again, the whole doors are clear, doesn't help lol

DSC_0078.JPG

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice work on this one , Graham ,taking shape very nicely, :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

Hit the slow part now.  Sprayed the ivory inside all the interior which I will leave 24 hours before assembling the cab area and add the front and doors.  If everything lines up I should be able to unmask the windows inside and attach the roof then it is on with the main painting.

When I get to this stage I like to start another project that I can work on while waiting for paint to dry.  This next project is something I have had in the stash for ages and I haven't done one for a long long time.  I will start a new thread for that one but I leave you with drying paint.....

DSC_0074 (1).JPG

0ne48thtel

I have just caught up with this Graham it looks an interesting little kit. Looks like you are licking it into shape rather nicely.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Good solid build skills going on here (fit issues sorted etc).

This van is starting to take shape. It's funny since seeing this kit I literally see these vans everywhere now.

Great stuff so far

Paul

F

Fenlander

So we're supposed to watch some paint drying in a picture? It would have been so much better as a video! xD

It can be arranged Dave.  It would be a good follow up to my blockbuster 'Watching grass grow' :D

F

Fenlander

Good solid build skills going on here (fit issues sorted etc).

This van is starting to take shape. It's funny since seeing this kit I literally see these vans everywhere now.

Great stuff so far

Paul

Trust me Paul, there isn't much skill going on.  I have stopped building for the technical side, I now only build for the sheer fun of it.  9_9