Heller's 1/8 Citroen Traction Avant

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Sounds like a good one Ken, knowing you it will be something different.

D

dougie

Did you make all the 400 from the ships? Nice one mate, that's a great effort!

D

Deleted member 3568

Yep Dougie the La Reale and the Royal Sovriegn (still to finish) and a commission for the Airfix Wasa.

D

Deleted member 3568

Yep Si it is either going to be languishing in a shed or barn or in a garden with a tree growing out of it.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I like the sound of it, and at that scale the weathering and detail of a wreck should really pop!

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well it arrived today, and it is mahoosive

View attachment 119176

there are 3 or 4 sprues to each bag, in the pic below the rule devides the 2 kits, in the 1/12 kit there is 1 sprue in each bag apart from the black sprue which has 2

View attachment 119177

Just to give you an idea of how big this kit is, that is a 1/12 kit box on top of it

View attachment 119178

one tip i've already learnt is dont take the stuff out of the box till your ready to build it (unless you have a degree in astrophysics) you wont get them all back in and close the lid.

DSC_0340.JPG

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0330.JPG

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Good choice Ken...... I"m sure you`'ll do a blinding job....... and congrats on the sales. Well done that man. :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi I've been given a superb idea for this, I am going to have it in a barn being readied for a mission by the French resistance with the cross of lorraine and a tricolour on it, the possibilities are endless, need to find some 1/8 figures and things like bren guns or make them from scratch I've been doing some research and this was available in blue irise (which is apparently a course metallic where the flakes aluminum were bigger than modern colours) if I can find I will do it that colour or ac615 blue marine which it was also available in, since I'm on hols from Monday I won't be starting it for a while (lots of other stuff to finish first) but (assuming I can get internet) being on hols will give me lots of time for research.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well I've made a start on this mammoth build (and thats without putting it in a dio) tbh once I looked at the instructions, without roys dvd I would have closed the box and put it away again.

I've read loads of reviews on this and they've all said the engine is badly warped and had to use some reinforcing or some such to make it square, I recon I've been lucky as mine has been a perfect fit (so far) I've even taken pics inside so you can see I've used no tabs or reinforcments ats all (I just hope this continues for the rest of the kit.View attachment 122369

View attachment 122370

View attachment 122371

View attachment 122372

View attachment 122373

View attachment 122374

View attachment 122375

DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0292.JPG

DSC_0293.JPG

DSC_0294.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all been working on this engine (there are more parts to just the engine in this kit than the whole Shelby kit)

to give an idea just how detailed this kit is, that little nut is a separate part (I had to use my PE pencil to attatch it)and that tin of humbrol is one off the normal sized ones, just to give an idea how small that nut is.

View attachment 122466

View attachment 122467

View attachment 122468

View attachment 122469

View attachment 122470

View attachment 122471

View attachment 122472

View attachment 122473

with the under coat on I can see a few bits of filling I've missed.

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start so far,ken,o_O

and grats on the sale as well,nice to have a few bob , ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

] Hi all another update, if you will indulge me a bit also a little tutorial for my brother(who was asking about rust effects) Jim here's one its called the salt method, I realise you don't have an airbrush (this is how its usually done) so as an experiment I did this with a brush, and I must say I'm very pleased with it.

First of all you paint your rust colour on the part.

View attachment 122680

By the way you need course sea salt and normal dinner time salt(to give different textures (table salt is too uniform))

so you get some water on your brush and put it where you want your rust then sprinkle the salt on.

View attachment 122681

allow the water to dry then apply your top colour (this is usually airbrushed on as the salt is very fragile and easily knocked off) but I found if you thin the paint to the same consistency you would to put it through an airbrush and use the softest brush you have it can be brushed on.

View attachment 122682

allow it to dry

View attachment 122683

then brush it off

View attachment 122684

View attachment 122685

View attachment 122686

I have an assortment of brushes which I didnt clean off properly so the pain has hardened the bristles and make them ideal for this task, the more rust you want to show the harder you scrub, this is not finished yet needs a few washes but need it to thourgly dry first the give it a coat of matt varnish so that if the washes dont look right I can get them off without ruining the effect I already have.

Here endeth Jims lesson.

Since I can find no definitive reference on the engine colour (every pic I've looked at it's been another shade of green) but since I'm using CAT's info for the body colour that is what I will be using for the engine colour. The last pic shows how big the engine is thats a 1/24 car .

View attachment 122687

View attachment 122688

View attachment 122689

View attachment 134599
View attachment 122690

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi Ken just caught up with this one and boy that's a big engine ( is it for a tug boat maybe?

This Citroen is gonna be ( excuse my French ) bloody huge

Maybe it can pull Scotts Dora ??

I'm in and watching

Love the salting method for the rusting effects

Robert

First Name
Dave
Just seen thid mate and its impressive, that engine is huge and I'm loving the salt method on the manifold, I've read about it but never seen it done, going to gice it a go someday.

I got a little distracted by the Camaro in the pics! Would love to build one of those one day!

Looking forward to all your builds both present and future.