help colouring fake fur

First Name
colin
Hi all
I've just been given some honey coloured teddy bear fur does anyone know what I can use to dye it a grass colour ?
Thanks in advance

D

dubster72

Dying faux fur can be done, but it's not the easiest job. The difficulty is that it's a synthetic material & so doesn't absorb the dye too well.

I prefer to use paint. Cheap acrylic stuff is fine, there's no need to waste your expensive modelling paints!

The best way I've found to apply it is by hand. I mix up the paint, dip my fingers into it & then rub it into the fibres trying not to overload the fur. You want it slightly damp, but definitely not wet. That will cause the fibres to stick together & ruin the effect.

Another way is to airbrush the fur. Whilst this doesn't get the paint into the full depth of the fur, it's useful for adding effects like dry grass using a tan colour.
HTH

First Name
colin
Thanks Patrick do you trim it down before you paint it as this seems very fluffy

D

dubster72

That depends on the length of grass I'm trying for. I usually stick a 1/35 figure on the fur & see if any trimming is needed prior to painting.

If you do trim it, keep it as random as possible so there are natural looking tufts.