help needed with vietnam chopper,s

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi,Guys ,not so good,with,planes,chopper,s so help needed,:confused:
I know the main air concavely was a huey ?
other than that ,not much,to help a bit I,m looking for one in 1.35,
so if anyone know,s who,makes one the right year and model,would be great help,:smiling:
ta all '
cheers
Moni,

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Morning Monica.
Quite a few 1/35 Hueys about.Dragon do the Huey D and B I think but there are others.If you google 1/35 Huey you'll find Scalemates who list currently available models.
B and C models were generally gun ships whereas D-H were slicks,used for troop transport,casevac "ass and trash"etc.
Jon.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Trumpeter do a couple of versions of the CH47 Chinook in 1/35. Mind you, you would need a LOT of room as they're about 1 metre long and 0.5 metre wide (allowing for turning rotors) - but there are some great pictures showing possible dios which would be impressive.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Morning Monica.
Quite a few 1/35 Hueys about.Dragon do the Huey D and B I think but there are others.If you google 1/35 Huey you'll find Scalemates who list currently available models.
B and C models were generally gun ships whereas D-H were slicks,used for troop transport,casevac "ass and trash"etc.
Jon.
thank you,Jon,I was having a bit of a look,and there,s quite a few models,thats where I,was thinking as what was,what,
UH-1,was one of them,I was thinking,:smiling2:

Trumpeter do a couple of versions of the CH47 Chinook in 1/35. Mind you, you would need a LOT of room as they're about 1 metre long and 0.5 metre wide (allowing for turning rotors) - but there are some great pictures showing possible dios which would be impressive.
thank you,Dave ,that would be a great build,but as you said the room,lol,dont have that much,
more the huey size,:smiling:

Cayuse @ DRAGON 3310 1/35 OH-6A CAYUSE Helicopter w/CREW - at least one kit on ebay.
thank you ,Gary , that,s more what I,m after,for what I,have in mind with this,build,will look into it,a bit,:smiling:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Monica, the guys have provided some directions on the heli's you're looking for. The Air Cav had support gunships other than the Huey like the Cobra and Cayuse which are not very big and are just as nice to have.

toy-scl2-68169.jpg
100196-10244-20-pristine.jpg
133548-10074-pristine.jpg
The Cobra is unfortunately 1/32 scale.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you’re feeling adventurous, you could even try backdating AH-1T and OH-58D kits to AH-1G and OH-58A, but that would be rather a lot of work :smiling3:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi Monica, the guys have provided some directions on the heli's you're looking for. The Air Cav had support gunships other than the Huey like the Cobra and Cayuse which are not very big and are just as nice to have.

toy-scl2-68169.jpg
100196-10244-20-pristine.jpg
133548-10074-pristine.jpg
The Cobra is unfortunately 1/32 scale.

Cheers,
Richard
thank you for your help.,Richard ,I did kind of forget about the smaller,one,a good idea as well,:thumb2:

If you’re feeling adventurous, you could even try backdating AH-1T and OH-58D kits to AH-1G and OH-58A, but that would be rather a lot of work :smiling3:
thank you,Jakko ,I don,t think I,would real know alot about them,to convert back,but a very good idea,as what I,m doing is very easy in the war,
around the time of the first major battle,:smiling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very early Vietnam war means almost none of the above suggestions are appropriate: the UH-1B is then pretty much your only option, for a helicopter of which a kit is actually available in 1/35, or perhaps an H-13 (AKA Bell Model 47). Everything else used at the time was stuff like Flying Bananas, H-34s, and other old-fashioned aircraft.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi,Jakko,so the UH-1B,would be the one to try for,as in shape wise,most would do,but without some of the added things,or Im I,wrong,as
major Moor had them for his ,1st air cav

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Monica, the Ia Drang battle mainly featured the UH-1D as slicks to ferry in the batalion in batches which immediately got into a firefight. A few were put out of action. The UH-1D was used numerous times to bring in supplies and ferry the wounded out.
Which scene are you going to make as they didn't hang around the LZ?

Cheers,
Richard

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Ah, you’re talking about a specific incident? Then photos are your best guide, of course. The picture at the top of the article Joe linked to shows a UH-1D, and models of that are available in 1/35 from Dragon and Panda.
thank you for the link,Jakko ,thats a great help,and shows,there about so will be able to get the right one,:smiling::thumb2:

Hi Monica, the Ia Drang battle mainly featured the UH-1D as slicks to ferry in the batalion in batches which immediately got into a firefight. A few were put out of action. The UH-1D was used numerous times to bring in supplies and ferry the wounded out.
Which scene are you going to make as they didn't hang around the LZ?

Cheers,
Richard
hi,Richard,what I,have in mind to do is,one of the last battle scene,s,as I have not done any think from this time,the one I,have in
my head is when they run up the hill,and the there waiting for them,and the heuy,s popup and let fly ,to me thats such a moving scene,
had the idea for some time as well,and this one will be followed by a long tan one,:confused: