Help required with german panzer crew

0ne48thtel

High folks I am on with painting some Panzer crew at rest figures for he barn dio. It is my first foray in to painting tank crew and I need to pick a few brains if that is ok. The figures I am using are a Tamiya set and on the box art it seems to show some of the crews trousers looking rather leathery. What I need to know and this is going to sounds like a real novice question I know were hey actually leather?

Gulps and waits for the fits of laughter to stop.

D

dubster72

No need for any hilarity Terry! The 12th SS Panzer (Hitler Jugend) were issued leather uniforms supplied by the Kriegsmarine - U Boat uniforms if I remember correctly.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've just looked on a Panzer tank uniform site and they state the 'wrap around' jacket and trousers were made from a tight knit black wool. Perhaps the leather came later for Tiger and Panther crews?

0ne48thtel

No need for any hilarity Terry! The 12th SS Panzer (Hitler Jugend) were issued leather uniforms supplied by the Kriegsmarine - U Boat uniforms if I remember correctly.

Thanks for that Patrick much appreciated. I think I am going to have to paint the trousers as material rather than leather for them to fit the part for this dio and hope I can carry t off.

D

dubster72

I've just looked on a Panzer tank uniform site and they state the 'wrap around' jacket and trousers were made from a tight knit black wool. Perhaps the leather came later for Tiger and Panther crews?

Supposedly the request for surplus U Boat uniforms came from an SS officer. The leather provided better protection from fire than conventional woollen uniforms.

Although the 12th SS are most well-known for wearing them, they found their way to other SS Panzer units, including the Leibstandarte. Michael Wittman was a fan - I did have a pic of him leathered-up, but I can't find it.

D

dubster72

Thanks for that Patrick much appreciated. I think I am going to have to paint the trousers as material rather than leather for them to fit the part for this dio and hope I can carry t off.

I'm sure you'll crack it Terry! The Miniart Panzer crew figure set is modelled on the HJ, including their longer-than-regulation hair! 

Mini-art-tank-crew-01.jpg

0ne48thtel

hell that must have been bloody hot in the tanks all leathered up.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
a very good question,Terry ,I have often seen the same thing,and just followed the box art and Panzer tank uniform site.

as said by Ron,

the info that Patrick know,s is just such a wealth of knowledge,that's a real help, :D

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Don't think I've seen any photos of Heer panzer crew wearing leathers.A good example of non-HJ is Werner Potschke of the Leibstandarte in several photos in the Ardennes.He's seen wearing the kriegsmarine leather jacket and trousers.
Jon.

H

HerrElektrika

Wow this is really interesting, I always thought when I saw german tank crews wearing leather or a panzer commander wearing a leather jacket it was because of preference/weather conditions. Now I'm hearing it was actually issued for an SS panzer unit....cool!