Help, tenacious liquid mask!!

I

Ivor100

Do any of you guys out there know an effective way of removing liquid mask (latex fluid) - a vallejo product - from a matt enamel surface. It seems to be sticking like the proverbial s**t to a blanket! I am trying ammonia on the latex which seems to be helping but its still on there to a large degree. Any ideas would be well appreciated. Ivor

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
the only way i could suggest would also remove the enamel paint. Oven cleaner or brake fluid

I

Ivor100

I think those would remove everything! Especially brake fluid, I want to keep the surface underneath. In hindsight i should have given a layer of Klear before I started with second colour. Its a tornado gr1 1/72 with everything moveable on the model!!

D

dubster72

Like Al, the only suggestions I have would ruin the paint Ivor. I know what you're going through, I masked a Tiger with Maskol & ended up taking off all the PE I'd painstakingly glued in! That was when I gave up with liquid masks.

Cheers

Patrick

I

Ivor100

Yes, won't do that again! But might try W&N art masking fluid - I think its a bit less tenacious. The one I'm using is gradually coming off, but a labour of love if ever there was one! I've made a 'rubber' out of the old masking fluid and that seems to be a help. I'd read somewhere that ammonia clears masking fluid - maybe I'm mixing it up with Klear. Thanks for suggestions anyway, cheers, Ivor

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I find gentle rubbing with either a finger tip or one of those erasers in a pencil things works. You dont need to rub hard, just roll it around. It usually loosens its grip.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I find gentle rubbing with either a finger tip or one of those erasers in a pencil things works. You dont need to rub hard, just roll it around. It usually loosens its grip.Ian M
Or similarly with a ball of Blu-Tac.

Liquid mask ....horrible,messy stuff for which I can always find an alternative. Just one man's opinion :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh Yer I forgot the blue tac trick,

I only use liquid mask when nowt other will do the job. Not a fan either, I just put up with it.

Ian M

I

Ivor100

I did it in the end thanks guys for all the useful suggestions. I had made the cammo outlines in blue tac then filled in with the masking fluid - thinking the blue tac would pull the latex away when I removed it. But, of course that didn't happen and the latex stuxk very well and it became hard to define the areas I wanted to keep against the masked areas! I used Ian's method, coupled with a lot of patience, time and a few broken parts and the end result is shown below, so not too bad in the end! I was after a soft edge to the cammo lines. In fact thinking about the problem latex is used in some paints, which is why I found it so effective!!

cheers,

Ivor

View attachment 46374

DSC_0581.jpg