Help wanted with markings for Mk.II Universal Carrier in Italy

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hello all,

I am hoping that the combined brain power of this site can help where mine is clearly lacking...

As some may have seen, I am building a diorama (1/35) set in Italy in late 1944. The setting is a village 'somewhere north of Rome' (although the Allies had moved quite a way north since they liberated the city in June 1944). So I am somewhere in Tuscany or beyond, but definitely on the Med side of the mountains (as opposed to the Adriatic coast).

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/liberation-italy-1944.30350/

This is the dio in its current state - please note that the terrain has not yet been painted (it's going to be that red Tuscan earth), there is no vegetation, the figures have yet to be added and the vehicles are only in their basic finish.

file.php

I have Mark II Universal Carrier (from the Riiche kit) and I'm also going to have several Tommies hanging about.

Here's the Carrier in its first coat of paint:

file.php

So I'm looking for possible unit markings, etc for the Carrier and, if anyone can suggest the appropriate Regiment for the infantry, that would also be a great help.

It doesn't have to be Brits, but for various reasons it seems to me unlikely to be Canadian, Polish or NZ at this place and stage of the war - but I'm happy to be proved wrong!

If there's an obvious source of decals that anyone can suggest then that would also be very useful.

Thanks in anticipation!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
im pretty sure it would be 1st Armoured Division but would ave to look individual Regiments

First Name
colin
Hi Tim.the following infantry divisions served in Italy
1st insignia white triangle
1st /56 London sitting black cat on red triangle
5th white Y on khaki background
50th Northumbria 2 linked red Ts on a black square
78th yellow battleaxe on a black background
Hope this helps

First Name
Perry
Hello all,

I am hoping that the combined brain power of this site can help where mine is clearly lacking...

As some may have seen, I am building a diorama (1/35) set in Italy in late 1944. The setting is a village 'somewhere north of Rome' (although the Allies had moved quite a way north since they liberated the city in June 1944). So I am somewhere in Tuscany or beyond, but definitely on the Med side of the mountains (as opposed to the Adriatic coast).

[...]

So I'm looking for possible unit markings, etc for the Carrier and, if anyone can suggest the appropriate Regiment for the infantry, that would also be a great help.

It doesn't have to be Brits, but for various reasons it seems to me unlikely to be Canadian, Polish or NZ at this place and stage of the war - but I'm happy to be proved wrong!

If there's an obvious source of decals that anyone can suggest then that would also be very useful.

Thanks in anticipation!

Kiwis went through to the end of the war but on the Adriatic coast in late '44 (first going into reserve after the fall of Florence Aug'44). Canadians went to Europe in Jan '45
Poles fought up the Adriatic coast.
Indian Divs were all across the Gothic Line so 4th or 10th would suit.
EDIT: Oh, and the South Africans were in to the end in 5th Army so spot on for you.

IF you can decals for any of course!

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Some strategically-placed weathering might help too.

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks for the suggestions guys (and yes, I'm never above slinging a bit of mud to hide something...)

As I say, I've settled on the Mediterranean coast, so that rules out anyone going up the Adriatic side.

So it's probably going to be the 78th 'Battle Axe' division, who seem to have been involved throughout much of the slog up the peninsula.

Interestingly, their wiki entry points out that, although one of the most highly regarded in terms of combat performance, they started the Cairo riots whilst on leave and also had the highest desertion rate... which seems strangely appropriate to my 'liberation' theme.

Here are some decals which include their insignia:

UK Infantry Division Unit Signs Summer 1943 –Spring 1945 1/35:

http://www.archertransfers.com/AR77028.html

First Name
Perry
Although they ended up on the Adriatic as well...

If you go for June-December you can have Kiwis, Brit 78th, Indians, Sth Africans, Brit 6th Armd, and Canadians. In fact only the Poles are ruled out! I know 78th and Kiwis have decals available. Others I'm not so sure.