Henschel 33 D1 Kfz.72 Radio Truck & Sd.Ah 24 Generator build up.

R

Ron Lebert

Part 2
DSCN7888.JPG
Time to weather the floor. The floor is made up from steel & the wood slats so we will try to mimic the wear of the two different materials.

DSCN7889.JPG
To start I used German Camo Beige to mimic worn paint from the slats. To add the scuff marks I used the procedure below.
DSCN7890.JPG
A very small piece of pot scrubber material is lightly touched into our base Beige colour.
DSCN7891.JPG
Then the excess paint is dabbed onto a sheet of paper to remove the excess paint, we want a splintered look as seen on the sheet.
Then the scrubber material is lightly touched to the floor creating the look we want to create.
DSCN7892.JPG
Now I want to add a primer colour & a lighter blue than the Panzer Grey to mimic the layer below the grey base paint.
.I used Cavalry Red & Field Blue as seen above & below. The layering of the colours allows a 3D chipping effect.
DSCN7897.JPG
.The Field Blue is a nice colour differential to the Panzer Grey.

DSCN7893.JPG
I use a hidden section of floor to practice the layered chipping look. A five 0 & a 10 0 brush are used to create the effect.
Post.

R

Ron Lebert

Part 3
DSCN7894.JPG
Now to spice things up a bit more we can add a bit of rust to our paint chips.
DSCN7895.JPG
I don't need to tell you that only the steel will rust but I will just to point that out. The inner fender area is all steel so we will add a bit of effect there.
I still need to add a bit of primer red to the floor areas as it looks too plain.
DSCN7896.JPG
A close up of the rust details.
DSCN7898.JPG
Don't get carried away as a little goes a long way. The open space in the middle is where the 1.5Kw. Transmitter is located so it isn't walked upon.
DSCN7899.JPG
To get a better feel for the overall look I glued two sections of wall in place This gives me a better feel & allows more light weathering to round out the interior.
There are a lot of details to add to the interior so I won't do a Brown wash till everything is glued in.
This way I only need to weather the other details with the few steps that we have applied so far allowing easier harmony to the finish.
Well I have work do do outside so all for today.
Hope this very first installment here on SM captures your interest in my blogging style.
Ron :thinking:

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Ron, glad to see you here so that I continue to follow your build. Was really enjoying it on MM before the floor fell out from under us all. Keep up the Fantastic detailing

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron,
You never disappoint superb workmanship can't wait for more.
regards Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Always such well detailed explanation. Very subtle and well thought out weathering. Mike Rinaldi is always going on about how important it is to keep weathering "in scale" and this is a perfect example of what he means :thumb2:
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Ron
Nice to see some paintwork on your master piece. I am really pleased you have chosen this forum to showcase your work
Steve

R

Ron Lebert

Joe, Jim, & Steve, I had to follow the rest of you & this is a nice place to land.
Jim, your words ring true trying to harmonise the build is a big job & weathering requires a bit of forethought to bring it inline with the build steps.
Ron.
Uploading.

R

Ron Lebert

The other two wall sides were glued to the floor & this revealed a big problem.

DSCN7900.JPG
The roof has a bit of a wow in it. Now this isn't really a big deal if you are going to glue the top in location but we want to show off our interior.
I picked up a second kit @ a local show so let's see if the roof is better than this one.

DSCN7901.JPG
So much for that idea it's slightly better but still far from perfect. Looks like I will need to put on the thinking cap.
It's a shame to have the same problem as we had for the fender to van body fit. Let's put this problem to side for a bit.
DSCN7903.JPG
The rear lockers were glued in & the fit came out nice & square. This is always a worry as everything was cut & fitted before the van body was glued together.

DSCN7904.JPG
Time to walnut the desktop. Looks like I have a bit of splatter to touch up. You just don't see the little things till you look & super large photos.
DSCN7905.JPG
For the walnut finish burnt umber is the oil of choice. put a little on a sheet of paper & let it sit for five minutes this will draw out some of the oil in the paint.
DSCN7910.JPG
I used two brush sizes a six to apply the burnt umber & the two to create the grain look. .

DSCN7906.JPG
Apply the burnt umber to the wood area, sorry I forgot to take that photo let it sit for a few minute then clean the brush on the paper.
Now remove the majority of the of the paint but leaving enough to allow a grain to be created. Move the brush from left to right only, draw it out creating a grain.

DSCN7907.JPG
Switching to the number two brush, draw out a smaller grain this simulates smaller sections of wood creating a more interesting look. If you mess up simply add a bit more paint & start over.
I need to fix the top left corner as the wall light interferes with the draw of the brush. No need to hurry as you have hours to play as the oil paint takes two or three days to dry.
Well all for now as it is so nice outside.
Ron:thinking:

Attachments

• DSCN7902.JPG
    DSCN7902.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 10

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Lovely detailed interior Ron.:smiling4:
Looking forward to the next update.

Fernando
ps. Blog style:thumb2:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Love the details-beautiful work. PaulE

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ron
You can always write the text first, leaving gaps, then simply add the pictures once the text is complete...
It's how I am doing mine..
Cheers
tim

Or vice versa. Add all your pics which will be kept in a separate part of the post. As you write you can click to add the photos as you go along.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Ron,
As always you never cease to amaze me with the simple yet so effective techniques you apply to your models. Yer gun truck was great but this one's gone beyond that!:thumb2:

R

Ron Lebert

Thanks everyone, yes the build is sort of stopped. I must apologize for the turtle like performance.
I don't model in the summer months a life it too busy & the warm weather calls us Canadians out of the basements & into the sunshine.
I will try to build but it will be slow so please have patience for the slow pace. I do want to finish the build before winter as new things are waiting on the shelf to be born.
Ronnie molasse