Hermann Goering Division Russia

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

As plans for the private work have now been put on hold, I've decided to tackle another 1/16 figure. I recently built the Dragon Hermann Goering Division signaller as part of a desert GB, and inadvertently ordered two of the same kit. As I've done the desert version, I thought I'd paint the second as per Russia 1944.

This is the box art and the first version:

100_2127.JPG100_1969.JPG

I've given him a Dog Tag shouting head, which will be looking to the front and he'll be waving with his left hand. I've swapped a few bits of equipment, so it's now a mix of Dragon, Tamiya and Verlinden. The camo smock will be painted either in the splinter or summer plane tree patterns. Having a thigh pocket, the trousers should strictly be the tropical pattern, but I will probably just paint them field grey (you never know).

All cleaned up, partially built and ready for painting:

100_2128.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
lovely paint work,Peter ,do like your style ,the camo is great well done on him,:smiling::thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Peter
Will tag along if I may. Great idea to do Eastern front. Good luck
Steve

A

Armorguy

Paintwork as sharp as a razorblade, I like your style sir.

Last edited by a moderator:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I've found a seat Peter...

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Peter.
I'll take my normal seat please. This I will like,:thumb2: if you need any debris please inquire at the Stalingrad Office .
John

D

Deleted member 6559

Very nice to wake up to all of your posts this morning - thank you people.

I've found reference that includes the right trousers:

100_2129.JPG

It was bothering me, but as the caption states, by this stage of the war German uniform was made up of any number of patterns and whatever material was still available. It also says that camo clothing just wasn't as wide spread as us modellers would have us believe - this chap is wearing and early splinter pattern smock.

D

Deleted member 6559

Great stuff Steve, thanks. Gives a good idea of the mix of uniform.

E

Evan James

Hi Peter,
It's always interesting to revisit a kit a second time, mixing the equipment is a good idea, have you been stripping old figures again? :smiling5:
I've had that reference book 'World Army Uniforms' since the 90's, it's helped me many times, the illustrations are very good, it's good to see it still being referenced.
ev

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Ev

The book belonged to my brother who got got for Christmas in the mid 70s. I was so jealous! I found it in his loft about twenty years ago.

As for stripping figures, I've got a big box of them, all old stuff, that I raid occasionally. Useful, too, when the cash runs out.

D

Deleted member 6559

Time for an update. Head and most of the gear done:

100_2132.JPG100_2130.JPG

These Dog Tag heads are nice to paint, having very smooth surfaces. The only drawback to the brand is that they do tend to suffer from pinholes - this one had four huge ones; one on the end of the nose, two on the lower lip and one on the chin. They filled OK, but the finish was slightly compromised. The helmet is by Tamiya, and I added a strap made from paper with a wire buckle.

As I still had a bit of painting juice left I decided to start on the equipment and ended up doing most of it. I always find the detailing an enjoyable process.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Lovely work on the head and his equipment:thumb2:
What is the item top left? I got one of them in 1 35 for the guys I started painting and couldn’t find out!
Si

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Si.

Top left is an pouch for MP40 magazines - usually worn as a pair. In Hollywood films the Germans always seem to be armed with MP40,s but wear rifle ammo pouches.

Also realised that I've forgotten to paint the studs on the pouches.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word Peter that equipment looks mighty fine.
Promise I will try hard !
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers John. Remember that the stuff you're painting would fit into the same space as the map case.

Reactions: JR

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work,on head and his equipment ,looking very good,:thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Must be quite interesting to approach a figure you have done before in a different way. Do you change the head to make the face different or simply that the kit head was not to your liking? As John says the kit is a work of art in itself.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim

I really fancied some more plastic after my last figure and this was the only one in the stash. I changed the head to try to make it look different - I was going to changie the arms, but that would have involved quite a lot of work, and anyway, it's something I'm not very good at.

Indulging in a bit of camo avoidance at the moment.....

Peter.