Hi not sure if I’ve joined. None of my threads coming through

First Name
Paul
Is this forum working . I’ve sent 3 messages since last night when I joined but nothing. Do you have to pay a subscription? Thanks for anyones help.

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yes the forum is working. As you have seen you may look around and read as much as you like but to be able to use the forum you need to pay.
Is there not a message that comes up when you enter the forum?

First Name
Derek
It‘s not very clear, I tried to create a post and it was in the forum list awaiting approval. Fine. Then today the post has completely disappeared with no explanation, no errors and no warnings.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It‘s not very clear, I tried to create a post and it was in the forum list awaiting approval. Fine. Then today the post has completely disappeared with no explanation, no errors and no warnings.
As a passive member you can only read the forum and its different sections. If you would like to join in, post builds and the such you will need to subscribe to the forum.
Just ask any of the subscribers, the SMF Supporters and they will tell you its the best £10 A YEAR you will ever spend.

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
Welcome Paulo - I'm new here too, but the forum is quite welcoming. I look forward to seeing your work.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
It's a great forum and well worth the annual fee. And you get a discount from the shop, which is very well priced even before the discount.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ditto!!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Best £10 you'll ever spend Paul .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Less than 3p a day! :smiling:
Definitely worth it as a part of spending on the hobby.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Take from someone that has been a member of the last ten years it is very good value.

First Name
Noel
I have been using the forum just for posting and replying to other modellers over the last couple of years. Went to reply to someone this week and a faint grey message has now appeared at the very bottom to say that I have insufficient privileges to reply. Also that I have insufficient privileges to create a post when I go into a subject column. I guess that the forum is a fee paying only forum now for any access to partake in discussion or create a thread, apart from this section to introduce yourself.
This change has not been made very clear unfortunately that it was going to happen. Just found that I have been blocked.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have been using the forum just for posting and replying to other modellers over the last couple of years. Went to reply to someone this week and a faint grey message has now appeared at the very bottom to say that I have insufficient privileges to reply. Also that I have insufficient privileges to create a post when I go into a subject column. I guess that the forum is a fee paying only forum now for any access to partake in discussion or create a thread, apart from this section to introduce yourself.
This change has not been made very clear unfortunately that it was going to happen. Just found that I have been blocked.
Cant recall the exact date but the forum has been moving to a pay to use forum for at least two, if not three years. It was announced at the start as a voluntary payment. as 95% said here take my money, it was decided that the last 5% might as well join in and pay as well if they wish to continue using the forum as a contributor.
Sorry if this come as a surprise but as said it is not a totally new thing.
Another reason for the change over is an attempt to divert some of the more... Dubious traffic. You know the type. They join, make a handful of posts then either begin to sell things in the market place or just make posts that are free adverts for their product/site/service. When they see they now have to pay to post they go elsewhere.
Also since the requirement of a paid membership most of those that had not yet paid or have very recently joined all paid the £10 annual fee, with a smile knowing they have spent the best £10 ever.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
and a faint grey message has now appeared at the very bottom to say that I have insufficient privileges to reply.
Since the payment system was started, this should appear on the screen when you open the forum in the bottom right of your screen:
Screenshot 2022-11-29 121343.jpg

By clicking on the word UPGRADE you will be taken to this next page:
Screenshot 2022-11-29 121445.jpg

First Name
Noel
Ian, I was aware of the 'You can upgrade box' that has been appearing all along when I was able to post and reply, but I did not notice that the wording in it must have changed when the forum went to 'pay only'.
I just went to log on as usual to find that I could neither post nor reply.
In the grand scheme of things £10 is not a lot of money and I don't begrudge paying it. It's just that when I went to log in I could not work out what was happening and thought at first it was just a glitch that was blocking my usage.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
There has been a marked increase of people continually using the forum lately to post builds, constantly interact and not paying. Us mods/Admins have to approve all the posts and it is obvious to see just how much it has increased and which members it is.

Having full access to the forum the same way paying members do wasn't right and imho it is correct that John now asks for a fee to engage fully. John took on the full cost of running this forum for many years. But as it becomes bigger and more pictures to host, then the cost also rises as well.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
As a passive member you can only read the forum and its different sections. If you would like to join in, post builds and the such you will need to subscribe to the forum.
Just ask any of the subscribers, the SMF Supporters and they will tell you its the best £10 A YEAR you will ever spend.
Seconded.