Hi, some of my finished aircraft

W

wmar1967

Just joined and was pointed here to post some pics of my models.

I've only been doing it the last couple of years and taking my time...normally I'm terrible normally for wanting to finish up and get on - but I'm finding I can take my time with models

I've no idea on techniques - still learning all that, but getting there.

Here are a collection of images of my collection so far. When I start others (I have a Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier and a Hasegawa 1/48 Arado Ar234B-2/N Nachtigall to come) I will post specific threads for them.

Always any comments and helpful hints would be welcome and appreciated

My first one almost 2 years ago

A collection

My favourite

Messed up my decal application here

And another fav - though it was my first time with weathering solution (Florry Models weathering I think) and I wasn't great at it

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Gidday Billy. For first models these are great. The Mosquito is particularly well done, the old Airfix kit by the looks of it. Is the P-40B Airfix or Academy? I think your weathering application wasn't too bad, I have seen and done a lot worse myself. I guess from the wing dihedral that the B-17 is an Academy kit? Some very nice weathering and subtle paint fading on that one. Lots of advice and help on this forum if you want to ask anything. I look forward to seeing your next builds.

W

wmar1967

Thank you for the comments.

I think the Mossie was a Tamiya...I don't think I've built an Airfix since I was a wee bairn (the spit you can see was an Airfix but was built by my daughter).

The B-17 was indeed an Academy as was the P-40. I LOVED the B-17 but the model wasn't great...quite fiddly. All the Academy's I've had have not been great, but they are cheap and you don't feel too bad about ruinging them - hence I tried the weathering on the P-40 and some paint weathering in the B-17. I never touched the Mossie - I kind of liked that one.

The P-40 weathering problem from what I recall was I put it on BEFORE I put on the Klear and therefore it was a bugger to get off.. Also, you can see some of the "klear" issues I suffer from occasionally (like watermarks)...but it was my first time with Florry weathering solution.

As for questions - I'm not sure I would know where to start. There are some amazing builds on here. Clearly people have been doing this for some time and have learnt many skills. I suppose I'll start with when I want a specific effect.

I'll be posting some images of my Arado when I start that and I expect I'll have questions then - though I have my Trumpeter 1/35 Challenger 2 to complete first

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice work Billy, I am struggling with planes at the moment, seems to be my disability playing up so have left them alone. Yours are great, okay a little bit rough around the edges (aren't we all), techniques will come regarding washes, AB, etc that will allow you to look at your builds differently and use paints differently. Your canopy painting looks good, something I dread. Overall, I think you have a nice selection of planes and your painting/detailing looks good. I like them mate and would be proud to own them myself.

Si:smiling3:

W

wmar1967

Thank you. The canopies I was dreading, then someone mentioned Eduard masks. I got the wrong one for the B-17 (the cockpit was ok, but the top, tail and ball turrets were a mess), but the Mossie and the P-40 were the correct masks and it does take a wee bit of patience, but it helps tremendously. Some people mask themselves...that's proper skill.

I don't know if you can see, but the He-111 I tried to paint freehand - worst thing ever!

Unfortunately I can't always find Eduard masks for the models. Maybe I'll have to start masking myself!

The B-17 met it's demise getting knocked about. The He-111 will be replaced when I get the chance to buy a cheap 1/48 scale model. The Mossie and P-40 I intend to keep as reminders of where I came from.

P

Polux

Welcome to the forum Billy.

Very nice collection!

Regards. Polux

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi billy , welcome to the forum , some great looking builds there . Anything you need to know ,just shout , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum Billy. Some nice builds there. I have changed the title of your post to give a clue to its content.

Hope you don't mind.

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Great work billy all fantastically reproduced but my favourite is the Stuka , I've never seen one in the camo before top job

W

wmar1967

No not at all. I sometimes don't think how it might look from outside. "WOW" doesn't really tell anyone about what's here.

Thanks

W

wmar1967

\ said:
Great work billy all fantastically reproduced but my favourite is the Stuka , I've never seen one in the camo before top job
Really? I was most disappointed with that. I mean, it was the first model I think I finished since I started.

It was 1/72 - I think Revell. I mean - I LOVE the Stuka...but I think I failed with it. I'm definitely looking forward to doing another one and giving it a proper go...but 1/48 scale (maybe 1/32!)

But thank you

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't think you've got anything to be ashamed of there! You've got some good results. They are all well put together and if you don't get that bit right it doesn't matter how you paint them or apply weathering etc.

As Vaughan says you'll get plenty of helpful and friendly advice here.

Don't be scared of things like canopy masking. All it takes is a sharp blade, some decent tape and a bit of practice. If you can put your kits together like that you'll be masking like a boss in no time.

Cheers

Steve

P

Paul P

Hi Billy, im not an aircraft modeller but I can see that there is great potential here, they are great, I really like the Mossie, my Uncle flew these during the war,

Paul

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Really? I was most disappointed with that. I mean, it was the first model I think I finished since I started.It was 1/72 - I think Revell. I mean - I LOVE the Stuka...but I think I failed with it. I'm definitely looking forward to doing another one and giving it a proper go...but 1/48 scale (maybe 1/32!)

But thank you
I love the Stuka , I can't see how your disappointed in it , it's well made (no seems showing ) well painted , nice clean lines.

I'm not an authority on the Stuka and I don't think it was ever painted like that but it looks good and I always like it when someone expresses themselves :smiling3:

C

CDW

Better aircraft than I can do billy, some people just seem to have the knack ... I wasn't in the queue apparently:smiling3:

Welcome to the forum

W

wmar1967

\ said:
I love the Stuka , I can't see how your disappointed in it , it's well made (no seems showing ) well painted , nice clean lines.I'm not an authority on the Stuka and I don't think it was ever painted like that but it looks good and I always like it when someone expresses themselves :smiling3:
Well thank you.

I don't know about historically - but there are plenty of pics on the net showing that camo for the Ju-87 Tank Buster and I'm pretty sure it was in the paint instructions - though likely not the "correct" colours.

If you google Ju-87 Tank Buster, you'll see why I was disappointed with it. I just wish I had done more with it. But as I said, it was my first foray into model making since 1981(?) Granted build wise it was a solid make. I just thought the paint work could have had more work.

I look forward to doing a 1/48 one :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Well thank you.I don't know about historically - but there are plenty of pics on the net showing that camo for the Ju-87 Tank Buster and I'm pretty sure it was in the paint instructions - though likely not the "correct" colours.

If you google Ju-87 Tank Buster, you'll see why I was disappointed with it. I just wish I had done more with it. But as I said, it was my first foray into model making since 1981(?) Granted build wise it was a solid make. I just thought the paint work could have had more work.

I look forward to doing a 1/48 one :smiling3:
I've seen it in the field grey and black green camo in those markings but I was unsure about the colours on yours anyway I think it looks cool , put RAF markings on it and it could be a captured one now that would be cool :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice collection. For some reason the P40 does it for me. It's my fav.