HK Models 1/32 scale D. H. Mosquito

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I will start cutting plastic Wednesday but this is what I will be building.

Mossie.jpg

it will be largely out of the box but I will be using these.

Mossie bits.jpg

This is the aircraft I will be building, with the 'cookie' bomb and 'expanded' bomb bay with long range fuel tanks fitted.

Mossie scheme.jpg

I cannot wait to start cutting plastic but a dentist appt tonight and a school directors meeting Tuesday puts it off until Wednesday....

During the period of the move I have obtained a whole load of new tools and materials that I will be using for the first time.  All will be revealed during the build.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice.

I just noticed on the box art that little bit of text in the bottom right corner. That could be interesting....the Mossie series

Now that to me says there will be others.....bummer. lol

I will look forward to seeing this one Barry.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes Ian - from  their past record I am sure there will be a number of different versions.  This is in direct competition with the Tamiya one who, I am sure, will bring out their bomber version later this year.  Both the Tammy and HKM are nice kits with different engineering and both are worth building.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Does it include the bomb with the stencil writing on it? The writing would be a nice addition to the ordnance.

Looking forward to see this go together

The eduard detail sets and airscale stuff look really nice mate

John

Last edited:
First Name
Dave
I look forward to this one Barry. Ive just about finished the Tamiya kit which is superb. Will have to get one of these to go with it.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have not looked closely yet at what stencilling is included.  The decals are Cartograph so they are pretty good, I just dont know how comprehensive.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

always good to know they are cartograph. The Tamiya super kits in 1/32, despite being fantastic have atrocious decals

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
LOL - I have to agree about Tamiya's decals.  I have them all in my stash to work through after this HKM build and I have made a point of getting aftermarket decals or masks for all of them.  There are some great schemes out there...

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looks like this will be an interesting one Barry. So Wednesday is there big day then?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well, I got home earlier than expected from the dentist and managed to grab 30 mins at the bench doing some prep

As is normal for a large kit with lots of sprues I used small post-it notes to label the sprues to help identifying them a lot easier and quicker.  There is about 20 sprues for this kit.

IMG_1213.jpg

Above the sprues are back in the box with those I will be accessing first on top.

The plastic is good quality, crisply molded much by the slide molding method, not a trace of flash anywhere and the mold seams are minimal.  Not much cleaning up to do, Airfix this is not!!!

Here is a pick of the main components, I have clipped off a small sprue from the aircraft nose.  Once I have removed the spue 'nubs' the pieces will just need a swipe of a fine sanding stick to remove all trace of mold seams.   I just love the engineering, no fuselage halves to sand smooth!!

IMG_1214.jpg

Roll on Wednesday to make a proper start....

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

you always know if an aircraft is huge when the fuselage is in parts and is not single piece halves.

The post it notes are a good idea. I should do that with my Zoukei Mura Horten when I build it

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The fuselage is designed that way so you can build up the cockpit and slide it in.  The join between the two halves follows a panel line and there are not many of those on a wooden wonder!!   reviews suggest the fit is spot on, something I will soon see for myself...

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I like the use of the post-it's, very clever! B|

Great looking kit!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oooh you tricked us Barry. It's a good job I popped in today otherwise I would have missed the start.

That looks like a very big box of plastic, should keep you busy for a while.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I managed an hour and half on the bench last night...

Put together some sub-assemblies for the cockpit. You can see where I have filled an extractor pin mark that needs sanding down of the bulkhead.

IMG_1216.jpg

I have decided to add some extra detail.  Behind the instrument panel, I think it may be visible from the transparent nose, not a big deal some round sprue and lead wire will do it plus a bit of plastic card.  

IMG_1217.jpg

I will also add some lead wire to one side of the cockpit wall.  Overall though the detail is good but some fairly basic simple work will make it better.  Oh - what look like extractor pin marks are not, the Mossie had round wooden bases in the cockpit to fix instruments to.

IMG_1218.jpg

Still getting used to new routines living with my lady.  I will be staying at my old house tonight, which has still not completed, as I need to be up at 4.30am for a business breakfast meeting I have every Friday morning, so the earliest I can progress this further is Friday but it may not be until Sunday...Its great to be back with a build though.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Excellent detail, but the ejector pin marks will be a pain to sand down and fill, as they look to be numerous