HK Models 1/32 scale D. H. Mosquito

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking good. I can sympathise with the work getting in the way of modelling, this September life fell completely off the work:life balance.

O

Ozzie_tank

Looks amazing glad I flipped through this thread definitely going to look into clever putty

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Really excellent work Barry. The Mosquito looks great. A really clean and exacting build.

superb stuff

Paul

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks for your comments everyone...

Progress has slowed this weekend but I did finish the final matt coat and removed most of the masking.

I am now picking off liquid mask from around detail and will hopefully finish that tonight.

Some pics:

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

There is a fair bit of clean up to do, some touching up and some repairs where vulnerable parts have been knocked off.  While the engineering of this kit is superb it is such that far too many parts are vulnerable to damage while painting this large model.

I am not sure what those white dots are on the wing as well  - I did not see them until looki ng at that picture.   I will check and get it sorted.

Once that is done I will be doing the next stage of weathering which will include kerosene and oil leaks using these below.  I also have a bit more wear to apply before the final fittings...

IMG_1476.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
No photos, I spent an hour or so last night removing the last of the liquid mask from around the detail, doing some clean up and touching up - hence visible progress is about zero!

Tonight I will start the final stage of the weathering and re-attach some small parts that have broken off.

Looking forward to getting this finished and prepping for the next build.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Barry. personally I'm not to sure about the light panel lines/rivet detail In my eye light 'shadows' are just wrong. With that lovely faded black you have done I would have though dark lines / rivets would have worked. Probably just the OCD kicking in. lol

Not long 'til this girl is ready and I look forward to seeing her 'pin-ups' :smiling3:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Colin, is it definately the same stuff as I dont get it sticking to anything specially not fingers?  This stuff just has sufficient 'stickability' to hold in place on the model and just lifts away when removed.  In fact it is more the weight of the material and its sinking into detail that holds it not anything sticky.

Ian - Yes, I  was surprised at how light it looks but it is the panel wash specificaly designed for black aircraft.  I think it is representing dust and grime getting into the panels rather than shadow with the lightness being the contrast with the black paint.  There are a couple of places where I will be toning it down tonight but in the thin panel lines it looks OK to me.  I have looked on-line and a lighter contrast is appropriate and it may be just a latter of taste as to how light it should be.

B

Builder

Nice little detail work there Barry, I sometimes am too impatient to do this so good on you for putting in the time and effort to really go for all those small details. 

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Last night I did the final fittings and a bit of touch up.

I used superglue and found this RB Productions tool the best I have used for the precise application of it. Sorry the photo is poor...

IMG_1480.jpg

For the aerial I used EZ Line - this really makes it a lot easier, drill a small hole to take an end and you are away...

IMG_1481.jpg

Here are a couple of overviews of the aircraft.  Tonight I will be giving it the once over, check and resolve any issues then I will take some pics and post them under completed builds...

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: