HMCC Badger

B

Bunkerbarge

I have recently purchased through Ebay a model which was made from a hull and plans from a Greenwich model shop, now ceased trading, called a HMCC Badger. Supposedly a Customs cutter. From its style and configuration I would guess at from round about the first half of the 1900's

Unfortunately I cannot find any information whatsoever on this boat so I am unable to verify colour schemes and operational timeframes to enable me to fit some crew figures.

I know that Deans Marine also make a smaller scale model of the exact same boat but they are also unable to give me any information regarding its history. (Not quite sure how they produced a model with so little information but there you go!)

If anyone can enlighten me on the origins and history of this boat or where I could get any further information I would very much appreciate it.

I have tried Customs and Excise, maritime museums, etc to no avail. I will attach a picture of the boat to assist.

Many thanks

View attachment 7767

/monthly_2005_07/Badger.jpg.42a45bcd9c051805fed3e1cf4ce489b8.jpg

View attachment 13062

Badger.jpg

K

Kiwi

That looks like the one that came out of the May 1964 Model Maker, Is it 47" long? If it is I'll pull out the mag and post the article on it. From memory it wasn't modelled on a specific boat but just the type in general, no doubt the article will clarify that.

Oops just looked closer and saw the 37" length. I'll have to find the mag and compare!

Last edited:
K

Kiwi

Here is the article and I would say it's the same boat. Re the Crew question I should think 1930s style.

Not bad this internet thing eh? An answer from the farthest away part of the world from you and in the space of 1 hour.!

View attachment 7770

View attachment 7769

View attachment 7768

/monthly_2005_07/badger2.jpg.a42b114ec801ce655df1add05a8454d4.jpg

/monthly_2005_07/badger1.jpg.8b59cfb325231472715b1e90e86e8269.jpg

/monthly_2005_07/badger.jpg.800403acce330e9eaeeb366b0dff5ad3.jpg

View attachment 13063

View attachment 13064

View attachment 13065

badger.jpg

badger1.jpg

badger2.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Kiwi,

I have to admit to being stunned. This is the first piece of information that I have seen on this boat and, as you say, it certainly seems to be the one. The picture I included is of the Deans Marine model at 37" but my model is 50" long and made from a hull and plans supplied by Maritime Models of Greenwich.

How on earth you remembered an article from a magazine published in 1964 amazes me but I am certainly glad that you did. I can't thank you enough for not just replying but taking the time to scan the article and forward it to me.

This Internet thing is even more amazing than you imagine as I am currently at work in the United States on a cruise liner and I am writing this reply from my desk in the Engine Room as we depart Nassau at 2.00 am!!

Very many thanks for your reply, I only hope that I can do something for you one day.

Best regards

D

duncan

Kiwi,"How on earth you remembered an article from a magazine published in 1964 amazes me but I am certainly glad that you did. I can't thank you enough for not just replying but taking the time to scan the article and forward it to me."

You should see Kiwi`s posts on RNZAF aircraft markings ! Methinks we have our own genius/memory man in our midst !

B

Bunkerbarge

Kiwi,

I printed off the orticle which was very interesting and much appreciated. Could I possibly impose on you though for a higher resolution scan of the plan as the text does not come out legibly on the one you did for me.

Sorry to ask but I would very much like to read the labels on the drawing.

Thanks for your help

Best regards

K

Kiwi

Bunkerbarge,

I can't (or don't know how to) alter the resolution on the "Paperport" program that I use so what I have done is scan at a larger size in the hope that it will be more readable, if that doesn't work we'll have to go to plan "B" (whenever I can figure out what that might be!)

Duncan,

I will admit to having been on TV's "Mastermind" in 1984 with the subject of "RNZAF Aircraft 1937-1957"

View attachment 7772

View attachment 7771

/monthly_2005_07/badgerb.jpg.3bf43827bb723f7a8cc22438bd81ef09.jpg

/monthly_2005_07/badgera.jpg.4af535a6719b6a18731dd4026eb9ea24.jpg

View attachment 13066

View attachment 13067

badgera.jpg

badgerb.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Kiwi,

That is a lot better as I can now read the labelling and see the detail a lot better. I can't thank you enough for your help, time and patience.

Best regards

U

ukboats

Thanks for all the Badger info you guys. Just goggled Badger model boat and up you all popped.

I have just acquired a part built Badger HM Customs & Excise Launch by Marvon Models of Doncaster in the UK. I don't think the company exists now but it does refer to the directors as J R Orriss & T C Gorman. The original buyer of the kit has written in the instructions that he bought it on 25th January 1989. A pity he never got to finish building it. It looks as most of the parts are there except the white metal fittings and the funnel.

So, after 20 years in the box I am going to have a go at finishing it.

If there is anyone out there with colour photos of this model or even better the original launch I would be glad to hear from you. I know of the Dean's Marine one.

Regards

Last edited:
F

fatjohnny

Hey Hi - I made just the hull and some of the super structure of this model while I was at school around 1973 !!!

Amazing this internet thing - I still have her in storage - i didnt finish the model properly but instead put my mamod steam

engine inside to power her along the local duck pond.

I never ever thought I would see the plans again - i lost my plans when I left the school in 1975.

Anyway there you go - I have a finished painted hull (Bread and butter construction) with deck in storage of this HMCC Badger.

Joe.

F

fatjohnny

ps my model was made from scratch and not from a kit - I had those plans in the photo above to work from.

B

Bunkerbarge

If you have any information or pictures regarding the original boat I'd very much like to see it. I have plans but only one picture.

S

sinbad

if any one is interested I own the HMCL Diligence which is one of the vessels this kit is modelled from. I believe she is the last one left. built in 1946 by J Samuel White & Co, Cowes, Isle of Wight. you can see her on facebook as "Diligence" with some older photos of smaller customs launches and on the national register of historic vessels.

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi there, many thanks for your post and a warm welcome to the Scale Models forum. I have always struggled to find any information about these vessels, despite even contacting the National register themselves, so I put it down to a lost cause.

As I am not on Facebook I would very much appreciate it if you could either post some pictures up here or contact me via PM where I can give you my e-mail address.

When you say you own the Diligence I take it she is still operational? I know the Badger was still in private hands a couple of years ago I believe in South Wales but I could not make contact with the owner so I do not know if it still exists.