HMS Invincible 1/700 cyber hobby

K

Kit18

I've eventually pulled this kit out of the cupboard and started to give it a go this afternoon. The hull structure went together really well compared to some of the starter kits I'll been trying out over the last few months etc.(I'm a complete novice compared to you guys) bar a few minor issues fit wise.
Started off by sanding the raised lines off on the flight deck 'as' advised somewhere I read online regards this build.Before I did this a few attempts of pencil rubbings were made -just to be on the safe side..(deck lines etc) . Long way to go, but I'll update when the build progresses .

Attachments

• IMG_6519.JPG
    IMG_6519.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6522.JPG
    IMG_6522.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6524.JPG
    IMG_6524.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 19
K

Kit18

More filling,sanding and spraying and more sanding. I'm still not that happy with it so far. Looks like I went with the wrong Humbrol colour match for the deck going off a convertion chart online ...that and my novice mixing of acrylics and air spraying. I've a lot to learn!

Attachments

• IMG_6531.JPG
    IMG_6531.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6532.JPG
    IMG_6532.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 21
J

Jens Andrée

Looking great!

I've learnt (read; I'm learning) to modulate paint when it didn't turn out exactly like I imagined it by spraying a really thin layer of clear colours from Tamiya, range X-23 to X-27, to change the hue of the colour.
If a colour is too dark I can modify it somewhat by spraying a mist coat of XF-57 Buff or just a very thin coat of the base colour with added light/dark tones to change the shade.
It can't rescue when the colour is totally wrong, but you can tweak an almost correct colour.

I also practise doing the same with artist oil paint and a brush which is very handy if you're only doing a certain area, detail or panel.

A clear coat can also change the tone slightly which can be both an advantage - and a disadvantage, if you're unaware of it.

The final stage of weathering is what really changes the tone and appearance for me but I guess it's more noticeable on a banged up, dirty and muddy tank than a majestic ship... ;)

Experience in my world isn't knowing how to do it right from start - it's to know how to recover from a failure! I fail a lot so I guess I'm also learning loads... hehe...

K

Kit18

Looking great!

I've learnt (read; I'm learning) to modulate paint when it didn't turn out exactly like I imagined it by spraying a really thin layer of clear colours from Tamiya, range X-23 to X-27, to change the hue of the colour.
If a colour is too dark I can modify it somewhat by spraying a mist coat of XF-57 Buff or just a very thin coat of the base colour with added light/dark tones to change the shade.
It can't rescue when the colour is totally wrong, but you can tweak an almost correct colour.

I also practise doing the same with artist oil paint and a brush which is very handy if you're only doing a certain area, detail or panel.

A clear coat can also change the tone slightly which can be both an advantage - and a disadvantage, if you're unaware of it.

The final stage of weathering is what really changes the tone and appearance for me but I guess it's more noticeable on a banged up, dirty and muddy tank than a majestic ship... ;)

Experience in my world isn't knowing how to do it right from start - it's to know how to recover from a failure! I fail a lot so I guess I'm also learning loads... hehe...
Thanks Jens for the reply and great advise, I'm still tying and failing but loving it! Frustrating at times ;)

K

Kit18

Todays progress- Left the flight deck the colour it was and started on the lines etc. (more tape ordered ;) ) Tried to tone the white down a bit and some 'touch up' required.

Attachments

• IMG_6544.JPG
    IMG_6544.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6547.JPG
    IMG_6547.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 16
K

Kit18

Only had a few hours on the build this week. More work on the flight deck and started on the Hull( just taken the masking off) with a bit more work on the super structure also. Also had a go with the PE on one of the masts, not best of results as its my first attempt with this stuff! Going with G-S hypo cement at the moment as I didn't fancy a instant fix with CA (confindence thing!).

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 17
K

Kit18

Small up-date regards this build- A couple of week back I stripped off the flight deck after not being happy with the colour etc. and started again.Did a bit of mixing of my own, which I'm kind of happy with-looks better than the first attempt I think ? More progress today adding decals etc. ..but the american 'style' R05 decal has miffed me off a-bit. Better photo's to follow when she progress's more.

Attachments

• IMG_6624.1.jpg
    IMG_6624.1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6622.1.jpg
    IMG_6622.1.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6621.1.jpg
    IMG_6621.1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 11