HMS King George V - 1/350 Tamiya

D

Deleted member 3568

Great build love it.

I would give it a great build but can't seem to find it.

C

Caledonia

Thanks for viewing Peter and Knutson (sorry don't know your first name) Derek

C

Caledonia

MESSAGE FOR RON (SPANNER 570)

Ron re your PM, I think you are referring to the external degaussing cable, this was unique to KGV, all the other ships of the class had internal ones. This cable can be clearly seen in the next photo, they went all around the ship to counter magnetic mines. It is especially noticeable around the anchor.

View attachment 106061

However after the KGV collided and sliced a destroyer in half in 1942, the degaussing cable was removed and placed internally like her other sister ships. The Gold Medal PE set I used included this cable, but I left it off as I was doing the 1945 configuration.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205143715

The next photo shows the hull damage and the degaussing cable still their.

View attachment 106060

The next photo shows the KGV in 1945 just before the end of the war and after it returned from the Far East, This is the configuration I modelled. Note the lack of degaussing cable , but note also the presence of two cables running from the water to the ships bow, this is for the Paravanes, this was added to my model.

View attachment 106062

Finally, below is the only colour photo I have found of the KGV, this was during the Far East tour. You can just make out the dark coloured panel covering the armoured belt and beyond. This was as depicted in the Tamiya box.

View attachment 106063

Hope this helps. Derek

KGVb.jpg

Picture (03-27-2014 19_58_16).jpg

KGV Picture (04-06-2014 23_34_36).jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Derek, thanks ever so much for posting the latest pictures.....Just the ticket!

Cheers,

Ron

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Just seen your completed KGV what a great setting makes the model come alive and with the crew as well this gives you a sense of realisium to the scene brilliantly executed

Colin